Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help, not sure whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help, not sure whats wrong

Ok I need to find out what is wrong with my car. I went to do a brake torque today, and well i didnt do it right. Bascailly I revved it up to 2.5k, dumped the clutch and slammed the gas. I then hit the brakes while still flooring the car. The engine was up at around 6k, i was still gassing it(the tires werent spinning anymore, i thought they were) and the RPMs went down and the car stalled while i was still giving it gas. Then I was like well dont know what happend, ill do it again, i reved it up to 2.5k, dumped the clutch hit the gas and brake. Well i started to see smoke and was like cool, then my friend was yelling at me to stop. Apartently i thought the wind was blowing the smoke to the front of the car, but the smoke was comming from the back of my engine. I think i smoked the clutch real bad. Now when i start out, it makes the same type of noise it makes right before the car stalls, but louder. It starts making the noise right at the friction point, and only when the car is in gear. What do you all think this could be, a throw out bearing?
Old 04-18-2004, 10:54 PM
wrencher

You fugged something up good, could be the throwout, or the damping springs in the disc.
Hard to say, but either way you need to pull it out & replace it prolly.
Is it the stocker?
You might as well do it all, master, slave/throwout, flywheel ,disc, pressure plate & pilot bearing.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:01 AM
Launching!

yes its the stock clutch and the car has 60k miles. Driving on it cant mess up anything but the clutch though right? So i should be fine to drive on it right?
Old 04-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

i smoked my clutch at the track...and there was no why i was keeping that thing in there, i did the whole package, 02 master and slave, flywheel, spec stage 3, 5.0 shifter, and lss. i love my drivetrain now. this is something you should do to a 98-00 even before you put a lid on it....imo
Old 04-19-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That poor, poor clutch.

Dope
Old 04-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Launching!

well this morning i when i was driving it to school and off to lunch it stopped makin the noise. But when i turn on the AC it smells like the clutch is still buring and the AC vents it into the car. Could this smell stay that long, or maybe somehow messed up the clutch so its engaging at the wrong point glazing it a little. It didnt smell very strong, but i could smell it. Good thing is that the noise isnt there now and the clutch isnt slipping. Pretty good for a stock clutch on a 2000 car with 60k miles.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It will smell for a couple days with that kind of damage. Let it go for a week and then see how it acts. It will probably be fine for normal driving but with that kind of damage and that kind of miles on it, it's probably not gonna hold up to much more abuse (burnouts/powershifts/etc).

Dope
Old 04-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Launching!

now if i was to get a z06 clutch(im not going to do any more mods to this car, so no need for the stage 3) what all else will i need? When you buy a clutch does it come with everythign or will i also need to buy a new pilot bearing, pressure plate, and whatever else?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:47 PM
wrencher

I'd go even better than a Z06 set & go with a good set-up like Ram or Mcleod.
You might not be making big #'s but your hard on 'em & the Z06 is only a little better.
You need one that you can abuse, is that always the story.......
Old 04-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Launching!

well that was my first time trying to do a brake torque and prob. the last time. Im generally not very hard on the clutch. I also found a good deal right now on a z06 clutch, with stock flywheel, and pressure plate for $180. I figured then all im gonna have to do is buy new hydrolics and a pilot bearing and it will only cost around 300 for everything needed. Do you all think that the new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and new hydrolics would fix this problem? Or is there anything else i need to replace to ensure it will be fixed?

Last edited by brandon1221; 04-19-2004 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help, not sure whats wrong