Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just installed Monster LVL 3. Shaking/banging. HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlisle
Couldn't give you an exact rpm, I know the chatter usually happens the worst at about 1100rpm on the way down, after I begin taking off.

Ya I did a bit more reading on puc clutches etc, and that seems to be the general consensus. I drove around all day today, burnt over a half tank of gas, just getting use to driving it. I've gotten to the point where I can take off with absolutely no chatter, and still have it be a semi normal launch. With my exhaust it's a bit louder than the general public is use to haha. I only get it to chatter when I do a real sloppy take off, usually on some sort of slope, and when I try and go too fast (release the clutch to quick). I still am going to rebleed the clutch, my buddy who installed the monster (I usually do all the work to my car myself, but it's winter and cold and I'm not that motivated) bled it, but I don't think he did it for long enough, or maybe after a bit of use I worked loose some air. Luckily I installed a speed bleeder, to make life easier. Also am going to readjust the master cylinder, thing engages RIGHT off the floor and kind of annoys me.

He (my friend) looked at the car today when I brought it by for him to look at, and he's sure it's chatter, but the banging noise he thinks is either my exhaust or my headers hitting the floor/tunnel. Only does it on the bad chatter. I'm running TSP 1 7/8" LT's and custom 2.5" true duals, there isn't a whole lot of room. He also wants me to get poly tran mounts, he thinks mine are worn out. Can I get those from a local store? Or do I need to order from the net?

C.
There are numerous things that can cause chatter, most of which are fluid contamination and break in. Since you just installed this I'd adjust your habits and drive it a bit. It sounds like you're getting the hang of it based off this post. You have to remember this unit is designed to hold a crap load more power than a stock unit, it's just not going to behave like stock.

With that being said I've driven literally hundreds of Monsters we've installed with -zero- issues as far as chattering or making noise.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Welcome to the Monster stage 3 clutch chatter. It seems based on reviews on this site there are more bad then good and almost all involve insane amounts of chatter.

Stage I and II's have awesome reviews though.
I think, as a moderator, you'd do more research on my product before you spout this nonsense. I've sold THOUSANDS of clutches to people and only a handful actually have issues. There are entirely more guys happy with their Monsters than not, that goes for this site and all the others on the internet. I know I can't make everyone happy but your post is off.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
what weight flywheel did you go with? Billet or light weight?
It was the 18lb 'lightweight' billet flywheel. I feel like if I would have gone with the normal 28lber it might have helped a bit, but I don't know.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Welcome to the Monster stage 3 clutch chatter. It seems based on reviews on this site there are more bad then good and almost all involve insane amounts of chatter.

Stage I and II's have awesome reviews though.
I drove to work today, then to lunch, then to dinner, then back home, and never once had chatter. I've also adjusted the way I drive, or use to drive, bit more rpm and a bit more careful on the clutch. No chatter. I posted the original post 15 miles after install, because I had never heard of chatter honestly. If I had, I would have given it a few days and a 100-150 miles before I posted about it.

The pedal feel is great, on harder launches (I haven't launched SUPER hard yet, waiting for the break in period to be over), I have absolutely no chatter, no shaking, just a nice clean engagement and launch. No complaints on that front.

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
There are numerous things that can cause chatter, most of which are fluid contamination and break in. Since you just installed this I'd adjust your habits and drive it a bit. It sounds like you're getting the hang of it based off this post. You have to remember this unit is designed to hold a crap load more power than a stock unit, it's just not going to behave like stock.

With that being said I've driven literally hundreds of Monsters we've installed with -zero- issues as far as chattering or making noise.

I think, as a moderator, you'd do more research on my product before you spout this nonsense. I've sold THOUSANDS of clutches to people and only a handful actually have issues. There are entirely more guys happy with their Monsters than not, that goes for this site and all the others on the internet. I know I can't make everyone happy but your post is off.
Understood, I plan on rebleeding the clutch this weekend after I get my cutouts thrown in, and adjusting the MC. I figure that should all but eliminate the shaking/chatter.

Honestly, at this point, I think I would have to TRY to initiate the chatter to get it to do it. I've gotten use to driving it this way, and it would be outside my comfort zone just to even try.

Great clutch, love it. Now I just have to be careful not to grenade my rear end haha.

C.

P.S. I'll post again after I bleed the clutch and adjust the MC.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

I love my monster stage 3 other than the fact that it eats drivetrain parts. It is definitely an axle eating, driveshaft breaking, spline shearing beast. I have about 30k on mine and it look perfect when I took it out a little while ago, no hotspots, no abnormal wearing. Mine chatters every once in a while but not often. My axles on my Datsun are really weak so Im forced to slip the clutch a lot at the track to avoid breaking, and I have never once smelt clutch, it will take a beating

-Will
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

The monster stage 3 can and WILL find every single weak point in your drivetrain, guaranteed! hahaha it grips damn hard at the track.

I never had chatter with mine just besides some break in miles. I also went with the 18lb flywheel. I realized I made a mistake when it became my daily driver and went light to light frequently. It was great for rev matching and road racing, but takes some getting used to if you daily it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its chatter cause the TICK MC is more then likely not set up correctly... best way to find out from what i searched and tried was in one spot put it in first clutch in and rev the car (flat ground) if the car moves forward a bit the pressure plate isnt releasing fully... i had HORRIBLE jumping and chatter at first till i adjusted and adjusted the clutch to get it PERFECT. I love my stage 3 litterally beat the **** out of it at the track and takes it like a champ... does glaze up but spirited driving or a nice track day shuts it up right away.

Does definately find weakspots that forsure lol. adjust the MC honestly try to get it perfect, make sure it goes into 1st effortlessly. change clutch fluid maybe and try different launching techniques, takes time but you will get it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZDER
its chatter cause the TICK MC is more then likely not set up correctly... best way to find out from what i searched and tried was in one spot put it in first clutch in and rev the car (flat ground) if the car moves forward a bit the pressure plate isnt releasing fully... i had HORRIBLE jumping and chatter at first till i adjusted and adjusted the clutch to get it PERFECT. I love my stage 3 litterally beat the **** out of it at the track and takes it like a champ... does glaze up but spirited driving or a nice track day shuts it up right away.

Does definately find weakspots that forsure lol. adjust the MC honestly try to get it perfect, make sure it goes into 1st effortlessly. change clutch fluid maybe and try different launching techniques, takes time but you will get it.
Sure thing man, this weekend is going to be dedicated to the car. Quick question. When you say it glazes up, does it make a whining/whirling sort of noise when it glazes? I have a weird sound I haven't ever heard before. Doesn't have anything to do with the chatter as far as I can tell, doesn't effect driving at all, just kind of annoying. Not real bad, I think from me riding the clutch and doing improper take offs it might have glazed a bit.

C.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlisle
Sure thing man, this weekend is going to be dedicated to the car. Quick question. When you say it glazes up, does it make a whining/whirling sort of noise when it glazes? I have a weird sound I haven't ever heard before. Doesn't have anything to do with the chatter as far as I can tell, doesn't effect driving at all, just kind of annoying. Not real bad, I think from me riding the clutch and doing improper take offs it might have glazed a bit.

C.
Good yea it definitely takes a bit of patience and some yoga like poses to get under the dash Lol! The thing i hear is like a little squeak at take off if i slip it which technically you shouldn't be slipping it but yea give it a nice beating and it will shut up, I called monster and they said its normal cause i was worried at first but they garenteed it or they would replace it for me under my warranty, good guys over there. I used to work at a tranny shop so it helped having my bosses with a keen eye watch it all go together too. GL buddy if you have any questions PM me.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 AM
Launching!

I've had several mosters 3s , love then would not change to anything else for the power i'm making ,only time i had chatter was when i had an rear main leaking a little ,u may what to check it , just a thought.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddy has a stage 3 and pretty much the same thing. It chattered pretty bad for the first 500 miles and smoothed out a bit but again he changed his driving style and now the chatter is almost non-existant. However like you mentioned his does squeal a bit if you slip it a little bit. Every once in a while we take it out and beat the crap out of it and its all quiet again. Overall badass clutch
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZDER
Good yea it definitely takes a bit of patience and some yoga like poses to get under the dash Lol! The thing i hear is like a little squeak at take off if i slip it which technically you shouldn't be slipping it but yea give it a nice beating and it will shut up, I called monster and they said its normal cause i was worried at first but they garenteed it or they would replace it for me under my warranty, good guys over there. I used to work at a tranny shop so it helped having my bosses with a keen eye watch it all go together too. GL buddy if you have any questions PM me.
Sorry it took a bit to get back. Any way, this weekend I adjusted and re-bled the master cylinder, which has always in the past been a PITA haha. Ya it takes some pretty strange poses to get that thing adjusted, at one point I was sort of sitting in my driver seat with my back against the *** of the seat and my *** against the back. Bleeding was easy, did it alone with the help of ticks speed bleeder I had installed. After, it drove tons better. Before I had issues shifting at higher rpm, not any more, and it engages where I want it now too.

I'll take it out this weekend and beat the crap out of it to get rid of the noise.
Originally Posted by M1SERY
I've had several mosters 3s , love then would not change to anything else for the power i'm making ,only time i had chatter was when i had an rear main leaking a little ,u may what to check it , just a thought.
No leaks on the car right now, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Originally Posted by redbird555
My buddy has a stage 3 and pretty much the same thing. It chattered pretty bad for the first 500 miles and smoothed out a bit but again he changed his driving style and now the chatter is almost non-existant. However like you mentioned his does squeal a bit if you slip it a little bit. Every once in a while we take it out and beat the crap out of it and its all quiet again. Overall badass clutch
Yep, I pretty much have 0 chatter right now, about 300 miles into the break in.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

I get a little bit of chatter. But you need to realise this is a single disc 6 puck race clutch. Its on or off. Slipping it is very difficult because the material is very grabby. I have a short torque arm that hits the tunnel under light loads.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! Let us know if you need anything
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far my Stage 3 feels good. As soon as I left in first gear I thought it felt better (I also have a tick MC). I like the stiffer clutch and there wasn't as much play in it either. I've had the chattering, but it only does it sometimes (still in the break in period technically). I'm not sure if it is that I just drive correctly or incorrectly, but taking off from a stop I can usually get no chatter at all (I'm generally slow to let off of the clutch pedal so that might help).
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Guitar
So far my Stage 3 feels good. As soon as I left in first gear I thought it felt better (I also have a tick MC). I like the stiffer clutch and there wasn't as much play in it either. I've had the chattering, but it only does it sometimes (still in the break in period technically). I'm not sure if it is that I just drive correctly or incorrectly, but taking off from a stop I can usually get no chatter at all (I'm generally slow to let off of the clutch pedal so that might help).
Ya that will help. Less rpm on takeoff helps a bunch.

Quick Reply: Just installed Monster LVL 3. Shaking/banging. HELP.