Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

transmission problem need advice??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transmission problem need advice??

So my transmission issue started about a month ago when for some reason all of a sudden my car wouldn't go into 5th it just starts grinding when I release the clutch.The 5th gear does not hesitate at all no pops,grinds, or choppy effort to get it in but ONLY when I release the clutch its starts grinding.One more thing I want to add is that if I shift into 5th below 30mph it works perfectly fine like if the issue does not exist so it has me buzzed out.So any advice will be appreciated before I shop for a new tranny.Thanks for the advice!!

Car is a 99 C5 Corvette MN6
Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new trans is not necessary unless you are looking for a Magnum or tr6060 upgrade. You can get to 5/6 and reverse without having to take the entire trans apart. Just the diff/tail housing and it's right there. Your fork pads, syncro assy teeth are worn or blocker ring is worn. Not too bad to fix in all honesty.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm....that solution is not the first time its been mentioned to me..well I guess I could give it a try if not then o well.I mean I have never torn a trans apart my skills have been as far as doing heads,valve springs,cam,etc. but never touched a bottom end so I dont know if I can tackle this task.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't feel like you can do it yourself get ahold of Tick. I believe they have $100 off their rebuild kit so they'll refreshen your whole trans and shipping is free. I think the basic rebuild is like a grand or so? Which I think is a killer deal because you can go to most tranny shops and they will offer to rebuild your tranny for like $1500-$2000. When the time comes I'm going with Tick as they specialize in the T-56 and aren't just a random shop that may have little to no experience with t-56's.

Quick Reply: transmission problem need advice??