Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broken T56, what's this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Broken T56, what's this?

Last month I picked up a used GTO T56 with about 25000 miles since it was rebuilt. It was shipped UPS and the box was a little beaten up but upon inspection the tranny seemed fine.

A couple of days ago, I was giving it a good power washing to clean it up and as I rolled it onto it's side I heard a little rattle inside. It sounded like a bolt or nut was rattling around in the case. I pulled the slave cylinder off and cracked the front case open and found this little gem. I couldn't see anything that looked broken in the front half of the case, so I put it back together and dropped it off a transmission shop. It'll be a few days before they can tear it apart, but I'd like to have an idea going into it, what this part is.

Can anyone identify this for me?

Top:

Bottom:

And here's a couple pics of the inside of the case. I see some similar parts, but not an exact match and nothing here looks broken:

Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the shift rail interlock (Part# 156 on the T56 diagram). Something must have whacked the shift rail violently to break that. It's where the shift fork links all rest/ride on the shift rail. You can see the other half of it in your next-to-last picture at the top, in between the upgraded steel 3/4 fork and the aluminum 1/2 fork behind it.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
It's the shift rail interlock (Part# 156 on the T56 diagram). Something must have whacked the shift rail violently to break that. It's where the shift fork links all rest/ride on the shift rail. You can see the other half of it in your next-to-last picture at the top, in between the upgraded steel 3/4 fork and the aluminum 1/2 fork behind it.
Thanks. Do you have a link to that diagram?

Also is this the piece that you're referring to? (this would be the good side, broken piece on the opposite side?)

Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is this the piece?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/english...ice_Manual.pdf

Yes, that's the piece you marked and show the pic of..
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI

Yes, that's the piece you marked and show the pic of..
Thanks Mike.

I got the T56 back from the transmission shop. It was the shift rail interlock plate that was broken like you said. They said everything else looked mint, so I should be good to go. Here's a couple pics of the culprit:

Quick Reply: Broken T56, what's this?