Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CAGS removal & Reverse Lockout softening - May help some people?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAGS removal & Reverse Lockout softening - May help some people?

So - i did some searching of this site & many others about removing the CAGS module & how to make the Reverse Lockout sensor a bit softer (so you don't have to really lean on it to get it into reverse but allows enough resistance to stop you going from 4th into reverse) but all i could find were fragmented bits of info on various websites.

My T56 is in a project of mine, so i've no idea about how to sort the wiring of these two connectors if in a standard car but i'm sure others will chime in.

Here's a pic of the two sensors in a pic i've shamelessly robbed off the internet (so thanks if it's yours!)

Reverse Lockout softening - no pics of this unfortunately
Whip out the bolt under the reverse lockout sensor & remove the unit.
There's an internal circlip which is visible inside, remove this.
Remove the plunger/large spring, leave the small spring inside the housing at the bottom.
Next there's a small clip holding the plunger spring in place, flick this off.
Then cut two coils off the Large spring, then flatten off the top with a belt sander/file & remove any burrs.
Then re-assemble back together, and hey presto, just enough pressure to get it into reverse.
Bear in mind i took 2 coils off, but try 1 first, then see what that's like for you. You can always take another coil/half coil off at a time until it feels right for you.

CAGS removal
Unscrew the unit with a big spanner (no idea of size).
Now it's time to plug the hole with a bolt/plug.
The thread size for this is M20x1.5.
I used an M20x1.5 bolt & washer.
I trimmed the bolt down to 23mm (25mm was still a touch too long) with a light smear of silicone around the bolt head & underside of the washer.
Job done!

Hope this helps some...

Quick Reply: CAGS removal & Reverse Lockout softening - May help some people?