Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 clutch making odd screeching noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LT1 clutch making odd screeching noise

I hope someone might be able to steer me in the right direction with this problem. ITs a 93 Z28 and not to long ago I was driving it and having no issues, it was driving normal. At one stop sign I floored it and then all of the sudden it wouldn't shift. I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary except now it won't go into gear if the revs are too high (above 3000 about). I came to a stop and when I have it in neutral there are no odd noises, however when I put the clutch in and put it in gear, it makes this noticable grinding noise.
When I start releasing the clutch slowly, it starts making this grinding/screeching noise and the further I let it out, the faster it becomes. Once the clutch is all the way out it jolts and starts driving normal. Getting it in gear is much harder now, and it won't go in reverse at all. It just grinds.
So recently I took the slave cylinder out of the transmission to seee if I saw anything abnormal, and I saw some metal shavings sticking to the rubber boot on the cylinder.
I've done a search but didn't really find anyone else having this issue, any input would be great, and I hope I explained it well enough.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Gotta drop the tranny to find out what happened. Metal shavings are likely either from a bad bearing or a clutch eating itself up. Either way, you need the tranny off to fix it. Could be a pilot bearing, could also be the clutch
Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay I will find out how to do that, I was wondering if the noise was a clue as to what the problem could be.
I'll drop the tranny, thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

You could have a bad release bearing or a bent or damaged fork or pivot-ball. At this point all you can do is start looking parts over for the issue. Let us know what you find and I will be happy to assist you further trouble shooting. Thanks,

Quick Reply: LT1 clutch making odd screeching noise