Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

slave cylinder compressed height

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slave cylinder compressed height

I've done quite a bit of searching on this subject and have found the question asked before but no answers with real numbers. It seems most slave cylinders have a throw out of .500, .700 or.750" but I cant find a compressed height anywhere. I am most curious about the cts-v slave which is shorter than the LS1 slave by about .5-.75" judging by pictures but I want hard numbers.

Here is what I would like to know;
...............comp. height...ext. height
-LS1 slave________ _________
-CTS-V ________ _________

and also, when using a 99 LS1 trans and BH, is there any other reason I wouldn't/couldn't use a slave from either an LS6 or LS9 aside from the height? Can the bleeder and clutch line be easily be bent or rerouted to be used with the LS1 BH? I will be using a willwood master cylinder and will need to purchase the clutch line yet. I don't even know what the LS1 slave fitting looks like, but will one fitting be easier/cheaper to deal with than another?

thanks for looking
Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Teching In

I stumbled onto this thread tonight and came up with some pictures that are hopefully somewhat relevent. https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...lutches-4.html

pn cs2529 LS7 slave

this is much too tall for what I am hoping to find, but does anyone at least know if the ls7 slave is taller than an ls1 slave?

I'm still waiting for my flywheel to arrive and engine to be finished but by the rough measurements I'm using with the parts i do have on hand, I'd like a cylinder that is fully extended around 2.5" and compressed at about 1.75".
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Can anyone at least tell me which to the best of their knowledge, is the shortest slave around? the LS1? LS7? something else? I know I could go the the local parts store, special order them all in, measure and compare, take the one thats the shortest and pay restocking fees on the rest, but I'm tring to minimize my costs not increase! .
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the LS1 slave. But I believe the CTS-V and ZR1 slaves are the same height.
The LS7 slave is obviously taller. I think I have my used CTS-V slave in the garage somewhere.
I'll dig it up soon and get you the numbers.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so my used cts-v slave measured from top to bottom as in your picture:

Extended height: 3 9/16" or 3.5625"

Compressed height : 2 5/8" or 2.625"

Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Teching In

thanks superslow for taking the time! I just picked up a LS1 slave from napa cause it was th only one they stocked so there is no restock fee if i cant use it. It measures 2.5" compressed and 3.375 fully extended. It apears the LS1 is the shortest of all factory replacement options. I have found a slave sold by ram (78160) that advertises 2.0" compressed height and .7" travel. I may be forecs to return my LS1 slave and order the ram but I'll wait and see how it all stacks up once I have my engine and flywheel back from the builder.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Messed u

Quick Reply: slave cylinder compressed height