Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2002 M6 Trans mount ES or Prothane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 M6 Trans mount ES or Prothane?

I've read a bunch about these mounts & still am at a loss. I have a 2002 SS LE M6 with less than 2,000 miles on it & just recently did some performance mods & tune. I'm at 351 rwhp/ 362 tq. First thing to break, trans mount. Which do you all believe to be the best as far as fitment and quality, es or prothane? I want to do the least amount of fab or modifying to this car as possible in any regard. Looking to keep things as "direct replacement" as possible. Thanks

Last edited by hotrod2002; 04-26-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your mileage leads me to believe you still have the stock rubber motor mounts. If so do not get any type of poly trans mount. It will put more stress on the tail of the tranny since the engine will torque more than the trans and you can risk cracking the housing.

And even if you do have poly MM's I still wouldnt get a poly trans mount. They vibrate... A LOT. They do tend to "break" in and get better after a few weeks but they still have a vibration more so than rubber one will. I and many other people on here run rubber trans mounts with more power than you have and dont have issues. If you really must have a poly mount then the prothane is the better of the 2. I had an ES and hated it, my buddy runs the prothane and after they were both broken in the prothane was nicer but still annoying to me at cruise.

Poly motor mounts are good and will take some stress on the trans mount, although being 11 years old is probbably why yours went. Just dont get a cheap parts store china rubber one, go to rock auto or the like and order the original style and you'll be fine.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Yes, all stock mounts & bushings. I'm going to get the UMI tubular chrome-moly 3 point bolt in sub-frame connecters too. I want to get this car in the mid to low 12's, hopefully without tearing it up. Figure I will need around 360-400 rwhp to achieve those times. It's not a daily driver so I may be able to sacrifice a small bit of streetability.

Good info! Thank you
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i run the energy suspension trans mount. They recently redesigned it, and it is much better. You'l hardly notice much difference in vibration
Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

You should be able to hit low 12st with ur current Ho levels and a good set of gears. No need for more nods
Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks killer-ls1. I was thinking they may have redesigned them by now but wasn't sure. @ redbird555 I thought the car may do 12's but didn't wanna get to sure. I'll give it a shot soon, after I get the mounts in & sub-frame connectors. Mods so far, slp lt headers, slp highflow y-pipe & cats, corsa cat back with quad tips, slp lid, slp maf, ngk plugs, taylor 10.4 wires & tune. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya you should easily be mid 12's now and low 12's with gears and the driver mod. I would ditch that slp maf and just get a stock one back on there. Aftermarket mafs are more trouble than they're worth and the stocker is good to 500hp.

But again if you dont have poly motor mounts DO NOT get a poly trans mount. You run the real risk of cracking the tail on the tranny due to the engine torqueing more with rubber and the trans not moving with poly. Do a search on here, and you'll find plenty of results. There's no reason a bolt on car should be destroying stock mounts anyway so you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: 2002 M6 Trans mount ES or Prothane?