Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS6 clutch with aluminum flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS6 clutch with aluminum flywheel?

Its time to replace my factory clutch and Im planning on replacing it with another LS6 unit and upgrading to the 2004 slave and master cylinder. My question is, is it worth upgrading to an aftermarket aluminum flywheel? If so what brand, and are there any downsides? Im going with another factory LS6 clutch because I got 45K miles out of the factory clutch and I like the way it drives around town.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can certainly use an Aluminum flywheel with an stock LS6 clutch. The down side is that the LS6 is not really that great a setup when compared to stronger and more durable aftermarket kits that also benefit from the elimination of the SAC-type pressure-plate. I have provided a link to our parts below. Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...te/2003/Single
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
You can certainly use an Aluminum flywheel with an stock LS6 clutch. The down side is that the LS6 is not really that great a setup when compared to stronger and more durable aftermarket kits that also benefit from the elimination of the SAC-type pressure-plate. I have provided a link to our parts below. Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...te/2003/Single
What is a SAC-type pressure plate?

I was under the assumption that all of the single disk pp were of similar design (and even possibly from the same major manufacturer)...
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that there are far better clutches on the market, but given the fact that Ive gotten 45K miles of flawless use out of my factory clutch, I see no need to get crazy with it, Im more interested in seeing if I can get the engine to rev a bit quicker by switching to an aluminum fly wheel without any down side as far as reliability or performance goes.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Gun, An SAC-Type plate uses a ratcheting mechanism within the pressure-plate assembly to adjust depth relative to disc wear. It is intended to maintain consistent pedal engagement over the life of a clutch but generally speaking, the mechanism is more apt to miss-adjust and cause issues with engagement and release. This is especially true for cars making more power and cars that are driven aggressively. Beyond that, even clutches that eliminate the SAC-type plate have inherent differences. Ours are built to have increased clamp-load which goes hand in hand with increasing a kits capacity (this isn't the case for all "aftermarket" providers). Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Fly, greater reliability is attained by eliminating the SAC-type plate. Pairing an upgraded pressure-plate of this kind with a lightened flywheel would greatly increase performance and durability while improving functionality.

Quick Reply: LS6 clutch with aluminum flywheel?