Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Odd wont go into 2nd gear easy problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Odd wont go into 2nd gear easy problem

My Corvette yesterday decided that it didn't like going into 2nd gear at higher RPM's. From what I could tell it somewhere above 4000 RPM. I drove the car to work yesterday morning just fine. ITs a mostly highway drive and I just cruised in at 80 in 6th gear. Only had to shift a couple time getting off highway since my work is right off the highway. I go to lunch and pull out of the parking lot make my turn and get into it a little, maybe 5000 RPM or so. I go to grab 2nd and it just grinds. I was like WTF!! I got it into 3rd and drove for maybe a half mile slowed down and tried again. It wouldn't go. I found it would go if the RPM's were down low. I continued to Lowes driving decent and no issues. At each light I was trying to play with the RPM's and see where the problem point was but never really could. I drove it home and had no problems, again driving nice. I then got into it a gain and the problem was still there. it would down shift if RPMs were low enough into 2nd.
This morning I took the console out and checked the shifter for and problems, none. I checked the alignment in the shift box, no problem found. I checked the clutch master and found the fluid approx. 1/4" below full. I filled it but am waiting for it to dry up after raining to go drive it.

Any thoughts??

Spec 3+ clutch
new OE clutch slave
Tick adj master
stock trans and rear
MGW shifter

clutch has probably 4-5k miles
slave has 600 miles
adj master 800 miles

I am going to try and bleed the master but I find it hard to believe any air in the system can cause just one gear to act up.

Chris
Old 06-02-2013, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct on the clutch issue. Possibly just the blocker ring set on the 2nd gear side . Possibly just getting worn (one of the three friction surfaces), or a crack in the outer steel ring. The later may exibit a very normal shift at lower normal shifting but not so much under higher speeds. Due to the fact that the outer rin act somwhat like a spring when it has a crack in it. The harder the shift the wider it will spread, then losing its ability to block up the speed of the gear. Hence the grind. All in all it will need to be worked/upgraded (Always remenber fixing the problem is finding the source)

Quick Reply: Odd wont go into 2nd gear easy problem