Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I Need Help On A 2001 Trans Am Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help On A 2001 Trans Am Noise

Hello, ok, here is my problem which I took to 2 different dealerships and they cannot figure this out. On my 2001 trans am, when you go over very slow bumps about 35 mph, there is like a annoying cricket noisy on the back somewhere. Both dealerships checked the bushing, the made sure everything was tight, and it still happens. If anyone can help me out and fix this problem, I'll buy you lunch or at leat send you a gift certificate for your trouble of helping me. Maybe no one has this problem or maybe this is a semi common issue. Maybe the struts or springs need to get changed or even the shocks, but I don't know much about cars as in technical terms. Please HELP !!!!!!!!! I live down in Atlanta GA, so if your near by, we can meet up and maybe help me with this prob. Thanks again in advance for your kind help.

GMMGBLACKBIRD. Halley.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like the shocks need to be replaced my firebird used to do that all the time...
Old 04-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks....

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
sounds like the shocks need to be replaced my firebird used to do that all the time...
hey dude, thanks for your help, so I am assuming that helped your problem right? I'll try replacing the shocks sometimes soon. Please write other ideas that could be wrong with my TA. thanks again.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GMMGBLACKBIRD
hey dude, thanks for your help, so I am assuming that helped your problem right? I'll try replacing the shocks sometimes soon. Please write other ideas that could be wrong with my TA. thanks again.
well it definately sounds like it has to do with suspension.. Is it like a squeaking noise or like ticking noise or what???
Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Hello, ok, here is my problem which I took to 2 different dealerships and they cannot figure this out. On my 2001 trans am, when you go over very slow bumps about 35 mph, there is like a annoying cricket noisy on the back somewhere. Both dealerships checked the bushing, the made sure everything was tight, and it still happens. If anyone can help me out and fix this problem, I'll buy you lunch or at leat send you a gift certificate for your trouble of helping me. Maybe no one has this problem or maybe this is a semi common issue. Maybe the struts or springs need to get changed or even the shocks, but I don't know much about cars as in technical terms. Please HELP !!!!!!!!! I live down in Atlanta GA, so if your near by, we can meet up and maybe help me with this prob. Thanks again in advance for your kind help.

GMMGBLACKBIRD. Halley.
Does it sound like a creaky bed or floor in a house?

GM vehicles were always prone to squeaky sway bar bushings. Especially in colder weather. It can sound very much like the springs. Try popping off the sway bar mounts ( not the end links ) and put a little grease on the inside of the bushings and see if that fixes it. It may or may not be the problem, but it doesn't cost a thing to try.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by technical
Does it sound like a creaky bed or floor in a house?

GM vehicles were always prone to squeaky sway bar bushings. Especially in colder weather. It can sound very much like the springs. Try popping off the sway bar mounts ( not the end links ) and put a little grease on the inside of the bushings and see if that fixes it. It may or may not be the problem, but it doesn't cost a thing to try.
Hi, thank you so much for your help, 1st of all, I want to say thank you so much for all the great people who took the time to read my post and lending a helping hand. Ok, to your ?, it sounds like a creaky sound like from a bed. OH, the dealership did try some grease on the bushings, and that did not worked. thanks again, and if any other of you great trans am owners have any other ideas, please post your great help. Also, once I get the money, I'll try replacing the springs & shocks, not sure if that would have anything to do with it. Thanks again to all, for taking time to help me out.

Halley.....
Old 05-03-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Hi, thank you so much for your help, 1st of all, I want to say thank you so much for all the great people who took the time to read my post and lending a helping hand. Ok, to your ?, it sounds like a creaky sound like from a bed. OH, the dealership did try some grease on the bushings, and that did not worked. thanks again, and if any other of you great trans am owners have any other ideas, please post your great help. Also, once I get the money, I'll try replacing the springs & shocks, not sure if that would have anything to do with it. Thanks again to all, for taking time to help me out.

Halley.....

Stock suspension?

Aftermarket arms with poly bushings can do this as well. Even the stock rubber bushings in the control arms can make noise.

You could try bouncing the car while you or a friend pokes your head under it to see where the noise is coming from. I did this with my buddy's Caddy and found the problem real fast.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Teching In

This sounds stupid, but my 98 T/A did the same thing. I replaced everything(suspention) The noise stoppped when there was a rear passenger. Lower your back seat and see if it goes away. Worked for me
Old 05-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Default Trans AM Back Rear Noise

Originally Posted by SloZ06
This sounds stupid, but my 98 T/A did the same thing. I replaced everything(suspention) The noise stoppped when there was a rear passenger. Lower your back seat and see if it goes away. Worked for me

Hi, thanks for your post, yeah, I'll try doing that later today and see if it helps. Oh, by the way, when you said to "lower the back seat", how would you go about doing it??? I'll see what I can do to it, tonite. thanks

And to answer "technical", to your question, is all stock. Havent done any work to my TA as of yet. If anyone else sees this post, please keep posting, b/c that creek is driving me nuts, maybe to the loony bin. Thanks again to all, for your great help.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Just fold it down. Worth a try, let me know.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Hi again, well, tried pushing the back seat down and push it a bit. Then drove for about 20 min, and the noise came back. Seems like that I'll never get rid of it, unless I trade my car in, which I won't. Maybe, I have to replace the whole bushing or something. thanks for your help.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem with my T/A (I also live in Atlanta too, maybe it's the city) and haven't figured it out yet. If all of your suspension is tight, and greased then there are two other likely options I can think of:

1. Exhaust pipes are loose, just snug up the clamps.
2. The hatch is loose, turn the bump stops up so they are a bit tighter.

I'm gonna get under the car this weekend (to change a tranny mount) so I'll check on the squeaking and repost Monday if I find something. The good news is there are plenty of dang potholes on the streets in this city to test it out. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Hey black99ta, let me know how it goes on the weekend. Maybe we can figure this thing out. I'm going to re grease the bushings one more time & see how it goes. Anyways, anyone who sees this forum, please go ahead and place your opinions. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, my panhard bar would squeak until i greased it up. might wanna try that. put some grease whre the bolt hole is as well as where the bushing rubs the metal of the bar. might wanna do this for panhard as well. spray some wd40 in there that will penetrate better.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
hmmm, my panhard bar would squeak until i greased it up. might wanna try that. put some grease whre the bolt hole is as well as where the bushing rubs the metal of the bar. might wanna do this for panhard as well. spray some wd40 in there that will penetrate better.
sup' WS6FirebirdTA00

Hi, thanks for your help. Yeah, I'll try doing that too. And also, you have a really good website of your ride, everyone should check it out....

oh by the way, hey "black99ta", how did your weekend go with changing the tranny mount.

Oh, I wonder, you know how when you live in an apartment, there are like so many speed bumps, I wonder if going through those bumps on a daily basis mess up some of the bushings or what not, to create this freakin' annoying noises.

well, keep posting !!!!!!! And thanks again for everyone's help & ideas.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Funny, my squeaking started just after I got the car in Atlanta and frequently hit potholes and speedbumps...maybe you're right. I should get my tranny mount in today and I'll check out the squeaking tonight. I'll try greasing the Panhard bar too.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Well, I put in the new tranny mount. It did fix the clunking sound I was getting on hard launches. Unfortunately the squeaking is still there. I shook the exhaust and didn't get any noise from it. I took a drive and noticed the squeaking sound gets louder when I put on the brakes. It also seems to be pulsing at roughly the speed that the wheel is spinning. I'm going to double check my pad thickness and make sure everything is clear of the rotating assembly, not sure where to go after that. Let me know if you found anything GMMG.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Teching In

I had creaking noises also in the back and especially in the T-tops due to chassis flex. I first put a strut tower brace on which helped marginally. I then put a set of subframe connectors on. A world of difference. Not only did my noises go away but the car seems far more stable. Also you might check some of the plastic in the rear to make sure its in there correctly and that the spare tire and jack are properly mounted. I chased a rattle for quite a while which turned out to be my spare tire mount.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get SLP headers, 3" Y and cut outs, you wont hear that annoying squeaking no more, and you will enjoy her alot better
Old 05-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Teching In

hey, thanks for all your reply's, I appreciated alot. Is good to have people out there, wanting to help out others.
Hey "black99ta". I re greased the bushings again, and it helped alot, but the squeaky noise still comes up on hard mini bumps. I was thinking of replacing the freaking bushings & sway bars, since when I got it brand new, the squeak was not there. But that'll be the last re sort I suppose. Anyways, I am also going to check to make sure nothing else is loose on the back side. I just called the dealership and the price for the bushings on the back sway bars with labor to replace it and get a brand new set is around $ 250.00, which is not too terrible bad. Tell me what you dudes think about that. Maybe you can just buy the bushings & do it yourself to save on the labor.

thanks for all your time,

take care,

Halley