Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Light clutch options

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
That's my vette in the video with the prototype monster twin. It was mounted to a flexplate as well and I used it to road race. Although it was manageable, I would not recommend it for daily driving. The low MOI made it more difficult to launch at the dragstrip as well and remember this was in a ~3k lb vehicle with 4.10 gears. May I ask why you're adamant on such a lightweight clutch? I ask only because as cool as it is that they rev like a sport bike, you might change your mind after you've actually driven one?
Ive driven one in a honda around a parking lot with a bunch of cars lol wasn't to big of a deal once you get used to it. I know several people who daily there supras, EVO's, and hondas with em. So that is why i don't understand whats the difference here.

I forgot what company i was talking to but when i asked "hey do you guys sell any light multi disc packages for a daily driver?" They said "sure do! what vehicle is this for?"I then said "Its an 02 firebird with the LS1" He then replied "im sorry sir but for that application we don't recommend it".

Its like lol so for a honda,evo,supra, etc... its okay but because its an LS1 car its not? I know Spec-01 told me over the phone it was because of the lack of meat on the clutch, so then he suggested the light weight option for the stage 3 (iirc) i then asked if i could pare that up with the tilton 8lb flywheel instead of theres and he seemed to get agitated/frustrated with me after that so i just stopped asking questions and got the part numbers down for the single option.

I want to take as much weight as possible. 30lbs+ off the clutch assy, is a great advantage being that its 30lbs off of the cars total weight and you wouldn't even notice and 30lbs off of the drivetrain is nice too.

Last edited by adamantium; 06-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After some looking around at lightweight clutch options I was also interested in the SPEC mini twin (SC09MT2). After talking with SPEC-01 and discussing what I intended on using the car for (street with occasional drag and autoX use) he recommended the Super Twin. While it's not as featherweight as the 5.5" triples, it's still a full 20# lighter than the Monster stage 3 that came off the motor. In the end I'm very pleased with the super twin. Pedal is very easy to modulate and throttle response is still very quick.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
Ive driven one in a honda around a parking lot with a bunch of cars lol wasn't to big of a deal once you get used to it. I know several people who daily there supras, EVO's, and hondas with em. So that is why i don't understand whats the difference here.

I forgot what company i was talking to but when i asked "hey do you guys sell any light multi disc packages for a daily driver?" They said "sure do! what vehicle is this for?"I then said "Its an 02 firebird with the LS1" He then replied "im sorry sir but for that application we don't recommend it".

Its like lol so for a honda,evo,supra, etc... its okay but because its an LS1 car its not? I know Spec-01 told me over the phone it was because of the lack of meat on the clutch, so then he suggested the light weight option for the stage 3 (iirc) i then asked if i could pare that up with the tilton 8lb flywheel instead of theres and he seemed to get agitated/frustrated with me after that so i just stopped asking questions and got the part numbers down for the single option.

I want to take as much weight as possible. 30lbs+ off the clutch assy, is a great advantage being that its 30lbs off of the cars total weight and you wouldn't even notice and 30lbs off of the drivetrain is nice too.
The stock weight of a honda clutch is no where close to the weight of an LS clutch, so the difference isn't as big. You can DD drive anything with enough skill and patience, you sound like you're hardcore enough. Just know that the fact you have to slip it less as it stores less MOI will cause it to not last as long though.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MX6.0
After some looking around at lightweight clutch options I was also interested in the SPEC mini twin (SC09MT2). After talking with SPEC-01 and discussing what I intended on using the car for (street with occasional drag and autoX use) he recommended the Super Twin. While it's not as featherweight as the 5.5" triples, it's still a full 20# lighter than the Monster stage 3 that came off the motor. In the end I'm very pleased with the super twin. Pedal is very easy to modulate and throttle response is still very quick.

Their light weight Level 1 8.5" twin is 33lbs fwiw
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

I'm currently setting up a 5.5" Ace maxi-lite triple disc with a Quicktime ultra lightweight flywheel. Clutch comes in at 9.7# and the flywheel is 2.1# I am saving for the Quartermaster Trilite release bearing right now and I also had to order an adapter from Quartermaster to adapt the slave assembly to the T56 trans. You will also have to install a clutch stop to prevent the release bearing from over traveling. It is suggested to use a 3/4" master but I'm going to try it with the factory master and see how it works as some people have had success.

I wouldn't say that the setup is cheap, but it really isn't that expensive when you consider all of the benefits. Rebuildable clutch, flawless slave cylinder, easy bleeding, extremely light pedal, short pedal travel, insanely fast revs

Ace 5.5" triple-----------------$635
Quicktime flexplate-------------$105
Quartermaser adapter----------$90
Quartermaster release bearing--$350

If you think that is expensive look up some carbon clutch sets.....

I should also add that my car is sub 3000# with 4.30 gears and it keeps getting lighter. I have never driven an extremely lightweight clutch, but I have driven a couple DSMs with aluminum flywheels and those have no issue taking off. And I have no first hand experience and the guys that like these clutch sets that are around 18# wish they were lighter so I went as light as I could for what I could afford. So I am either going to love this setup or hate it with a passion lol and there is only one way to find out.

I hope to have the clutch installed by the end of July depending how my house projects go and I plan on taking some in car videos to show how it works.

Last edited by Turnin20s; 06-24-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Link to quicktime flexplate please. I could not find them for a ls engine.

I used the QM ti-lite stuff in my install.....7 yrs ago. You will have to modify the adapter a bit to make it work.....well unless they have changed it to work in ls applications.

You are leaving out the button for the clutch and longer bolts. You will need both of those.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Link to quicktime flexplate please. I could not find them for a ls engine.

I used the QM ti-lite stuff in my install.....7 yrs ago. You will have to modify the adapter a bit to make it work.....well unless they have changed it to work in ls applications.

You are leaving out the button for the clutch and longer bolts. You will need both of those.
The Ace clutch I bought is a button setup, it comes with the button and bolts to install it. The button is also included in the weight IIRC, it has a lot of metal machined out of it

The quicktime flexplate is for an '86+ sbc as I have an LT1 motor, I bought it from Jegs.

And yes I know I will have to modify the adapter, but I'm not worried. It will be a lot easier to trim the adapter than to make my own.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Oh ok...your workin lt stuff. Make sure the button is the right depth. The first button I was sent was to deep and made one of my discs ride of the splines. I had cut up a bellhousing to see and measure **** so I caught it when I test fitted everything.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Oh ok...your workin lt stuff. Make sure the button is the right depth. The first button I was sent was to deep and made one of my discs ride of the splines. I had cut up a bellhousing to see and measure **** so I caught it when I test fitted everything.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll add that to the list of things to measure lol. I should be starting on the install by the end of next month, just have a lot going on right now but I want that thing in there now
Old 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

Their light weight Level 1 8.5" twin is 33lbs fwiw
Thats not so bad. How much is it?

The stock weight of a honda clutch is no where close to the weight of an LS clutch, so the difference isn't as big. You can DD drive anything with enough skill and patience, you sound like you're hardcore enough. Just know that the fact you have to slip it less as it stores less MOI will cause it to not last as long though.
Yeah the hondas do have light clutches from factory, given they are smaller motors. but the supra have clutch assemblys as heavy as the GM stuff and they have no issue DDing with multi disc light weight clutches. **** tilton makes a tripple carbon for supras that weighs 19lbs WITH a "HEAVY"12lb flywheel and hardware and check out the description for the clutch below.

"We are now offering the Tilton multi-plate clutch as used on our 9 second 6 speed Supra. This is the ultimate street/strip clutch, period. Reduce rotating mass by 30lbs+ with this hot street/strip set-up. The entire clutch assembly with flywheel weighs in at 9lbs!!! Triple carbon disks provide the work for holding and releasing big horsepower and torque.

We have gone through half a season already with only the slightest signs of wear. I can easily say that a single disk of reputable brand would have only held maybe one event before needing replacing (keep in mind slipping the clutch through first gear with over 800 whp). The Tilton loves to be slipped.

This clutch is built to last (estimated you can go 5-6 years on the same clutch with only 1-2 inexpensive rebuilds). Those of you with 650+ know that this is far from possible with any standard clutch and flywheel combination. Another thing to note is that you are able to slip the clutch at high horsepower/ high RPM with no problems what so ever, exactly what you need to get those great 60 foots needed to lower your ET. This clutch revs extremely quickly and is very streetable (and quiet at that).

Believe it or not we usually have this item IN STOCK."

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tiltripcarcl.html

Now why can it not be done with a GM? (serious question)
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adamantium
Thats not so bad. How much is it?

Yeah the hondas do have light clutches from factory, given they are smaller motors. but the supra have clutch assemblys as heavy as the GM stuff and they have no issue DDing with multi disc light weight clutches. **** tilton makes a tripple carbon for supras that weighs 19lbs WITH a "HEAVY"12lb flywheel and hardware and check out the description for the clutch below.

"We are now offering the Tilton multi-plate clutch as used on our 9 second 6 speed Supra. This is the ultimate street/strip clutch, period. Reduce rotating mass by 30lbs+ with this hot street/strip set-up. The entire clutch assembly with flywheel weighs in at 9lbs!!! Triple carbon disks provide the work for holding and releasing big horsepower and torque.

We have gone through half a season already with only the slightest signs of wear. I can easily say that a single disk of reputable brand would have only held maybe one event before needing replacing (keep in mind slipping the clutch through first gear with over 800 whp). The Tilton loves to be slipped.

This clutch is built to last (estimated you can go 5-6 years on the same clutch with only 1-2 inexpensive rebuilds). Those of you with 650+ know that this is far from possible with any standard clutch and flywheel combination. Another thing to note is that you are able to slip the clutch at high horsepower/ high RPM with no problems what so ever, exactly what you need to get those great 60 foots needed to lower your ET. This clutch revs extremely quickly and is very streetable (and quiet at that).

Believe it or not we usually have this item IN STOCK."

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tiltripcarcl.html

Now why can it not be done with a GM? (serious question)
$1299

Have you ever tried slipping a carbon/carbon clutch when it's hot? Coefficient of friction almost triples.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

$1299
Not bad

Have you ever tried slipping a carbon/carbon clutch when it's hot? Coefficient of friction almost triples.
No sir! Im here to learn and all ears. There are no threads that im aware of on this topic so why not.

Quick Reply: Light clutch options