Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2002 Camaro SS M6 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro SS M6 Issues

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I recently purchased a mostly stock 2002 Camaro SS m6 with 47k miles on it. Took the 4 hr drive across the NY to test drive and buy. Clutch/tranny and everything else worked perfect for 4 hours/300 miles until I hit stop and go rush hour traffic 15 mins from home. In the stop and go traffic I observed the car beginning to lurch forward when stopped in traffic as if it was trying to pull the car forward when both the brake and clutch were depressed. I had to constantly inch the car forward to keep from stalling out in first gear. I stalled out 4 times and and finally made it through the toll booths. Immediately after going through the tolls I was unable to shift into any gear and there was a lot of resistance building up in the shifter. I pulled off to the side of the road and shut the car off for approx. 15 mins and turned the car back on and had no problems shifting until I travelled another 5 mins where I had the same issue as before. While diving I was unable to get the car in any gear but neutral and let the car coast until I was on the shoulder. At this point getting a tow from this location was out of the question since I was in about the worst stop for rush hour traffic. I let the car cool down and then was able to get the car in second and make it off the thruway and home taking the back roads. Once I finally got the car back home I shut the car off and ensured that all the fluids were full. When parked and with the vehicle off I am able to shift in any gear with no issues or resistance. When I turn the car on I am able to shift for about 30 seconds with no problem before the tranny builds up resistance and becomes notchy and its impossible to shift in any gear. I did not observe any issues with the clutch, and clutch movement appears to be smooth and not spongey, but I am no expert. I realize that driving the car after the problems occured might have caused more damage, but due to the location and massive amount of traffic I chose to drive home the rest of the way. I am looking for some possible causes and fixes and appreciate any help I can get from you guys. Thanks again and let me know what additional info you need.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like hydraulic pressure bleed off. If the clutch pedal feel doesn't change then it probably is not the master cylinder but it may be an issue with the slave cylinder in the transmission.

You're sure you checked the clutch fluid reservoir?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked the clutch reservoir and its full. I will prob try to flush it and re-fill and see if that makes a difference. Looks like there might be a little condensation on the rubber insert and res cap.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS M6 Issues