Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Skip shift eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skip shift eliminator

Newbie question here. I've had my 94 Z for a week and I don't have much experience with F-Bodies. When I bought it I didn't even know what Skip Shift was. This may seem like a stupid question but how can I tell if the car has the skip shift eliminator on it? The light on the dash comes on and when it does, it doesn't force me into 4th and it doesn't lock me out of 2nd, but sometimes it bogs when I accelerate after shifting into 2nd. The car has had an LT4 cam, and head work done to it and hasn't been tuned yet so it does miss and bog sometimes because of that. I didn't know if it was bogging after going into 2nd because it needs to be tuned and its just not running like it should or because I shifted into 2nd when it wanted me to go to 4th? I'm guessing that it does have an eliminator because it doesn't completely lock me out of 2nd which from my understanding is what the skip shift is supposed to do. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the skip shift eliminator will allow you into second gear even if those other conditions are met (I forget exactly but there is a MPH and engine temp range). However with the eliminator installed you will still get the "skip shift" light. Check out a picture of what it looks like and throw a jack under the car - you can easily see whether it is plugged into the transmission - its not hidden and fairly obvious if you have one.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I recall this feature being new for '98 and don't expect you have it.

The actual feature uses a pin that projects inside the transmission, which physically prevents you using 2nd or 3rd gear during light acceleration. It does not impact the engine at all.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I recall this feature being new for '98 and don't expect you have it.

The actual feature uses a pin that projects inside the transmission, which physically prevents you using 2nd or 3rd gear during light acceleration. It does not impact the engine at all.
Yeah I have it (the car came with it anyway, I have yet to check to see if it's been eliminated or not), from my research it started on the 4th gens.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my '94 Firehawk had it - I bought the resistor from SLP. For my '02 I bought one and got it on there ASAP.

and I agree with WSSIX99 - your bogging issue will not be related to skip shift if you have installed and functioning. The only bogging I've ever had was when I DIDN'T have it installed and got knocked into fourth.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ceta4zng
my '94 Firehawk had it - I bought the resistor from SLP. For my '02 I bought one and got it on there ASAP.

and I agree with WSSIX99 - your bogging issue will not be related to skip shift if you have installed and functioning. The only bogging I've ever had was when I DIDN'T have it installed and got knocked into fourth.
Ok I was pretty sure the bogging was because it needs to be tuned for the head/cam swap just wanted to make sure. If it doesn't have the eliminator on it now I'll get one for it, thanks again for the help.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put it on mine, but I forgot how it reacted before I put it. I skip second anyway unless I'm really trying to get up speed quickly, usually 1st to 3 rd

Quick Reply: Skip shift eliminator