Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster, spec or what??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
The McLeod is make to work with stock flywheel. Even can use the monster flywheel. Me and Scoggin Dickey talked about this already.

Have the stock one resurface and then have the clutch and flywheel balanced together
I wouldnt use the stock cast flywheel if you plan on making power and going to the track a lot
Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

:
Originally Posted by Guitar
That's bullshit. It's a good feeling clutch, firm (if you don't have little girly legs this isn't a problem), and grabs great. It doesn't like to be slipped, starting out can be funny sometimes, but other than that it has been great so far. Time will tell how it changes but probably 2-3k on it now and it has been great (maybe more).
Its not bullshit at all. That is my take on the clutch like it or not. I will never buy anther stage 3. You like it then good for you. I could care a less. I was just giving my take on it. As you see like others have posted im not the only one that feels that way. I even know some that had a gto with the stg 3 and hated it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jetaws6
I wouldnt use the stock cast flywheel if you plan on making power and going to the track a lot
Was just stating what it was made for. That you dont need a special aftermarket flywheel bc its a twin.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guitar
That's bullshit. It's a good feeling clutch, firm (if you don't have little girly legs this isn't a problem), and grabs great. It doesn't like to be slipped, starting out can be funny sometimes, but other than that it has been great so far. Time will tell how it changes but probably 2-3k on it now and it has been great (maybe more).
Man I just don't know....this is a hard decision. I'm almost scared the monster 2 will end up not being enough and that the 3 might be a pita. It depends on who are I guess. It's cool to hear someone who likes it tho and the price on both is not bad.

The McLeod clutches sound great but I don't wana spend another grand on parts. I know I'm gonna need a rearend soon as well

:

Its not bullshit at all. That is my take on the clutch like it or not. I will never buy anther stage 3. You like it then good for you. I could care a less. I was just giving my take on it. As you see like others have posted im not the only one that feels that way. I even know some that had a gto with the stg 3 and hated it.
I found that clutch u were talking about for 720$ I think...just remembered that. But that was without flywheel. I was wanting light weight flywheel but maybe stock is fine
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sslayer

I found that clutch u were talking about for 720$ I think...just remembered that. But that was without flywheel. I was wanting light weight flywheel but maybe stock is fine
that the rst or rxt??

i would play the safe bit. you dont want something your not going to like. just how i see it.

Last edited by Blackbird-WS6; 06-27-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that the rst or rxt??

i would play the safe bit. you dont want something your not going to light. just how i see it.
The RST was 720$ and the RXT was 900$ I think. Sorry I forgot the names
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

get the monster level 3. i daily drive a 11" in a bone stock fbody with a 18lb fw and it drives great. you just got to get a feel for what it likes and what it doesnt. if you have half a brain you will have no problem driving the level 3 on the street effortlessly. i have the monster twin in my race car and it is an amazing clutch as well but a twin is not necessary at your power level. plus monster is gonna stand behind their product as well better than anyone in the industry
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

The RST was 720$ and the RXT was 900$ I think. Sorry I forgot the names
you can get the rst for cheaper. think ws6store has for $630. Scoggin Dickey should be able to match or beat that price. he can get you the rxt for $750-790 shipped. just cant remember offhand what it was.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
get the monster level 3. i daily drive a 11" in a bone stock fbody with a 18lb fw and it drives great. you just got to get a feel for what it likes and what it doesnt. if you have half a brain you will have no problem driving the level 3 on the street effortlessly. i have the monster twin in my race car and it is an amazing clutch as well but a twin is not necessary at your power level. plus monster is gonna stand behind their product as well better than anyone in the industry
you can get the rst for cheaper. think ws6store has for $630. Scoggin Dickey should be able to match or beat that price. he can get you the rxt for $750-790 shipped. just cant remember offhand what it was.
I really like what I am hearing from both of you. My stress level is lowering lol.
What else should I consider installing with either clutch? Btw. My pedal sticks to floor and trans has hard time shifting on hard high rpm launches from like 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Will just a better clutch fix that or do I need additional parts?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did someone say the monster flywheel will work on the RST? The McLeod flywheels are kinda spendy
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did someone say the monster flywheel will work on the RST? The McLeod flywheels are kinda spendy
yes it will. Scoggin Dickey found out the info for me. you can PM him yourself
Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^i will for sure. Or I'll just keep mystocker. It's a hard choice. I want to rev out faster And gain HP. But I don't wana demolish my 60' with the light weight FW. I wonder how much it actually affects it
Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

you shoud put a sfi flywheel in it. i would not reuse the stock one. and i would get a tick master cylinder if your having trouble shifting the car. the rst is also not ment for drag racing people burn them up pretty quick drag racing with them thats why they have the rxt. MONSTER TTFMF!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

dont use the stock flywheel its cast iron and will break/warp. Ive used both the lw flywheel and billet steel flywheel and the difference is night and day. Get the billet steel one. Itll help a lot with your 60.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Level 3 would work better for your power level and drag racing. I recommend it with the standard 28lb flywheel for daily driving and launching the car easier as it stores more MOI. I definitely wouldn't run a ceramic friction material like the RXT uses with a cast flywheel, as that's a good way to loose a leg without a scatter shield. It's happened for real, of course that company isn't making clutches anymore. Rule of thumb from my experience is every 10lbs off rotating mass is .1 off 60' or you have to increase launch rpms to offset the bog. Don't hesistate to call me if you have any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont use the stock flywheel its cast iron and will break/warp. Ive used both the lw flywheel and billet steel flywheel and the difference is night and day. Get the billet steel one. Itll help a lot with your 60.
What flywheel does the ls7 clutch come with?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
The Level 3 would work better for your power level and drag racing. I recommend it with the standard 28lb flywheel for daily driving and launching the car easier as it stores more MOI. I definitely wouldn't run a ceramic friction material like the RXT uses with a cast flywheel, as that's a good way to loose a leg without a scatter shield. It's happened for real, of course that company isn't making clutches anymore. Rule of thumb from my experience is every 10lbs off rotating mass is .1 off 60' or you have to increase launch rpms to offset the bog. Don't hesistate to call me if you have any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
I've got a quick question on the Stage 3. I know it doesn't like to be slipped. My attempts at dumping fail on drag radials of course. I slipped it at the track this past weekend at 5k and it provided good results for my first real time out with a proper setup, 1.77 60'. Of course it needs work, but slipping it isn't going to hurt it, is it?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The master cylinder and flywheel weight will also affect driveability. Maybe that's why to some it's not as difficult to dd as it is for others
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

What flywheel does the ls7 clutch come with?
A GM Flywheel....and your point is?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

A GM Flywheel....and your point is?
Wow! It was just a question.

Quick Reply: Monster, spec or what??