Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help Transmission is Stuck Sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Transmission is Stuck Sometimes.

Well I went to the track on friday night, ran 4 passes no problem. On my fifth pass the car was stuck in fourth. Could not get it out for the world until I got down to 10 mph or so. Waited for 45 minutes and drove home. Car was fine. Went to the track tonight and same thing happened on the fifth pass. Waited 1 hour and made another pass. Trans was fine, no problems. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate and would not do 1/4 runs. Is this a possible hydraulic issue. Seems to only to do it when hot. Any advice will help. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lhaitzss
Well I went to the track on friday night, ran 4 passes no problem. On my fifth pass the car was stuck in fourth. Could not get it out for the world until I got down to 10 mph or so. Waited for 45 minutes and drove home. Car was fine. Went to the track tonight and same thing happened on the fifth pass. Waited 1 hour and made another pass. Trans was fine, no problems. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate and would not do 1/4 runs. Is this a possible hydraulic issue. Seems to only to do it when hot. Any advice will help. Thanks.
This has happened or will happen to many ls1 owners who run their cars hard...
The cause of it getting stuck in fourth is usually that you are overextending fourth gear which is possible when jamming it down into fourth to many times. Eventually you will bend the shift fork allowing you to shift further than you could and since you probably dont have a shifter with stops (bolts that stop the shift stick) there is nothing really to stop shift...
Your probably experincing the poping out the third also.
Depending on how long you have been driving with it like that after it got stuck in fourth you will need a total rebuild...
Its alot easier to fix if its still stuck in fourth. Im pretty sure the dealer wont cover it theyll probably say it was abuse on your part. When you get your tranny rebuilt, get a shifter with stops like a pro 5.0 or a B&M and this will help prevent this from happening again...
Old 04-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks for the advice. I already have a b&m Ripper shifter. Also this transmission is less than a 1000 miles old,JUst replaced in October before putting away. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah my tranny did the same thing within 1000 miles after my first rebuild...
If you have stops on your shifter make sure they are set properly...
Old 05-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

The shifter never came w/ the stops. It just came w/ the plates for the bolt hole to set it in the center or farther forward or back. Is my kit missing something or what? Thanks.