Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3800 Series II to 3rd gen T5

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3800 Series II to 3rd gen T5

What I am looking for is cold hard facts. Trying to search for this information has been a nightmare with all of the misinformation that is out there. I have been able to gather some accurate figures and now I am trying to figure out if I can get it accomplished.

My main question is in regards to the bellhousing. Will I be able to take either a V6 bellhousing from a 3rd gen and mate it up to this motor? That will give me the correct canter and mate to my case just fine. Or can I take a 4th gen bellhousing that will absolutely mount to the block and can I mount it to my case?

With either option, what flywheel will I need to run? Would it be one from the 4th gen or can I get my 3rd gen one to work?

The input shaft is 8 3/4" long in my car and 9 1/4" long in the 4th gen V6. I can swap this out easy enough since they are the exact same spline count and everything. If I do swap this out, can you think of anything else that I may need to worry about? If I do not swap this out then does anyone know of an extended pilot bearing that can make up the extra 1/2"?

If you have any other insights it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats13

If you have any other insights it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Poke around on 3800pro forum .....someone there must have done what your looking to do.

I have watched a lot of swaps on turbo Buick also but those have all been auto cars other than one red firebird that did a 3800 sc swap with a manual but that was a 4th gen.

I have done some tuning on a friends 3800sc rock crawler and its mated to a 700r4 with an adaptor plate he got from speedway , maybe they make an adaptor for your planned swap
Old 07-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the insight. The guy with the Firebird is in my car club. We have been talking, but he wasn't too sure about what I was looking to do with the transmission.

I actually had a 4th gen T5 fall into my lap, so I am going to be using that. It cures all of my transmission problems, for now at least.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats13
Thanks for the insight. The guy with the Firebird is in my car club. We have been talking, but he wasn't too sure about what I was looking to do with the transmission.

I actually had a 4th gen T5 fall into my lap, so I am going to be using that. It cures all of my transmission problems, for now at least.
Small world , I just hooked him up with a crank and a piston/rod combo (guy with red bird) there's another guy on turbo Buick that's done a few swaps that I think may have gone t5 in a rwd L67 swap of an old mopar fwd 024/charger guy really has his swap data down.

Quick Reply: 3800 Series II to 3rd gen T5