Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 lockout solenoid not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 lockout solenoid not working

ok... so i'm having an issue.

actually.. its a really really really REALLY long story... i had the transmission (T56 99 camaro SS) rebuilt and the first guy messed it up, BADLY, took it to another guy who has tons of experience to go back and fix the 1st guys issues, but still didn't work, so took it back a 3rd time and everything works now mechanically.

all of that is somewhat inconsequential to my current issue.

the reverse solenoid (this is my second one) only works randomly. i have to turn the car off and on several times and physically put my hand ON the lockout and feel it click before i can put it into reverse without forcing the shifter into reverse.

i have tested the voltage and it IS intermittent. the fuse was blown previously, and replaced, is in good shape now, i check it every time i get in the car.

and... yes, the console and boot are taken completely out of the car, and i can see all the way to the ground. i'd like to fix this issue asap so i can put my car back together and not worry about having to adjust or replace anything else.

my QUESTION:

What tells the solenoid to actuate so you can put it into reverse?

my assumption is, maybe the speed sensor? if it knows you're moving forward, it won't let you go into reverse? but i don't know, because i've been able to get into reverse while rolling forward (at minimal speed obviously, like on a slight hill or dip) in every fbody i've ever owned (several)

i need to know what tells it to kick so i can test it for further diagnosis..

my other option is to use the BAD solenoid that i first replaced, which i have cut the post out of put a heavy spring in, and use it temporarily until i can get a new (3rd) solenoid (for $100 on ebay).. [[[ and yes i do know the SERIOUS risk of doing this.. but i'm not racing the car, just driving it 7 miles to work so there's minimal chance of shoving it into reverse at 100mph trying to hit 5th gear... and i have no problem going from 4 to 6 directly to avoid all possible chance. but i'd still like to FIX the issue at hand]]]

the first solenoid was toast, second one is hit or miss but was USED... i don't know for sure that anew solenoid would help me out.

with that said, does anyone have a good used one they'd sell me cheap? (not the purpose of the post, please don't send me to classifieds)

any ideas guys? please let me know. thank you!

Last edited by RedAcesMotorsports; 10-10-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually................ i think the problem was the PLUG afterall... so that may fix the issue.... i'll update, but it'll be a few days probably before i can get it changed out.

Quick Reply: t56 lockout solenoid not working