Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter only moves forward and back, no side to side. Car wont move!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shifter only moves forward and back, no side to side. Car wont move!

I had a somewhat frightening experience in my Firehawk tonight. I was turning onto a side road when I noticed I could not downshift into 2nd. The car actually came to a stop on the turn. The shifter would only move forward and back (no side to side movement, like I could only shift between 1st and 2nd), and only with A WHOLE LOT, and I mean A WHOLE LOT of force. It felt like it was in gear. I could turn off and start the engine just fine. Clutch pedal had decent pressure. No matter what I would do, the car would not move. We were on a steep incline, and I could push in the clutch, make sure both the brake pedal was not pressed and the emergency brake was not engaged, and it would not drift. When the car was running, and I would slowly let out the clutch, I could hear the engine start to stall as the clutch engaged, but no movement even if I gave it a good bit of gas. I eventually just let out my frustration on the shifter and clutch, slamming the shifter every which way as hard as I could and stomping on the clutch pedal and it eventually "came lose."
This all happened during every day driving. No racing or anything hard on the drive line. Master cylinder fluid looks good.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did this when i bent the 3-4 shifter fork and my tranny was actually stuck in 4th even though i was not in forth. i was only able to use 1st and 2nd but i was actually still in 4th the whole time (hope that makes sense). Try and get it into 4th as this should align all your gears.

Quick Reply: Shifter only moves forward and back, no side to side. Car wont move!