Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch, Centerforce, or Spec Stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question LS7 Clutch, Centerforce, or Spec Stage 1?

I've got a 2002 SS with 350rwhp and 362rwtq. Car weighs 3640ish.

I'm looking to get the best value for my money here so I'm trying to weigh my options.

The parts I already have for my swap are a new gm slave cylinder and speed bleeder line. Already installed in the car is a Tick MC.

The Spec clutch does not come with a flywheel and after the purchase of one the total price will be roughly $269.10+$233.10=$502.20. My question about the spec is, who buys a stage 1? That's what the spec rep recommended when I told him my story.

Centerforce is $429.95 with no flywheel, but when one is added cost jumps to $663.05. I'm not sure if this one is designed to hold my power, torque, and weight combination.

The LS7 clutch comes with a fancy aluminum flywheel or a steel one. This package costs $479.95 with a steel flywheel and the package with the aluminum flywheel costs $579.95. This package was originally designed for a car with more power, but less weight. My car has more weight and less power. Will this clutch last?(longer than 40,000 miles?)

The car is my daily driver and it gets driven very spirited. I enjoy myself and drive it the way it was meant to be driven. Should I get an alumunum flywheel or a steel one?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

I wouldnt get the ls7. It is a self adjusting clutch and that will cause problems if it is used hard, and at high rpm. As for the lightweight flywheel, i wouldnt go any other way. The place i notice it the most is on downshifts, it is so much easier, and it wont punish you as much. I have an 18lb flywheel, and it isnt harder to drive at all. The only time you want a heavier flywheel would be dragracing, as it carries more momentum on the launch. I have a monster, and i have had some issues with it, but after i sorted them, it has been good. The brand is a preference, just make sure it will suit your needs, and power levels.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw some posts on here where guys are talking about a Diamond clutch.I called them and asked them about there stage one clutch. I heard some good things about them.The guys name is Jason.

Last edited by transwiz; 11-09-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

monster level 1 or 2
Old 11-09-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

I would never recommend a centerforce clutch to anyone!
I think everything about the entire company is garbage!
I've never ran a monster, but blue99fbody does and he's
Got the fastest 6 speed LS car on the planet right now,
So that obviously says a lot about monster!
I'd go monster or McLeod.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll personally be going with a Spec stage 1 in the spring along with a new ACDelco flywheel (~$100). No way in hell will I ever go to another clutch with a SAPP which immediately rules out any of the OE setups. Would it be nice to go with a step or two about stage 1? Sure, but I'm on a budget and don't put many miles on my car in the first place.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would highly recommend a Spec Stage 1 or a Monster Level 1.

Both clutches are very user friendly with a stock like engagement/feel.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monster by far, great product and great warranty, and they're proven!

I'm a bit biased though.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Monster by far, great product and great warranty, and they're proven!

I'm a bit biased though.
Here's something I've been wondering since you've posted (and it relates to what I posted): is one able to purchase just your clutch/pp without a flywheel? That one can get the Spec 1 for $269 and then add an OE flywheel for around $115... a better-than-stock setup without the SAPP for $384 is a great option...
Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Here's something I've been wondering since you've posted (and it relates to what I posted): is one able to purchase just your clutch/pp without a flywheel? That one can get the Spec 1 for $269 and then add an OE flywheel for around $115... a better-than-stock setup without the SAPP for $384 is a great option...
No, you cannot buy our units without flywheels.

To get a quality clutch you're going to have to spend some money. That said we've got a couple of dealers/distributors on this site that have really good pricing.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know Monster is not listed, but with your build the way it is (my C5 has about the same numbers as your car) I'd go with the Monster Stage 1 or 2. It costs a pinch more but it's totally worth it. Everything mates together perfect and holds power like CRAZY while still being 100% daily drivable (I put 20-50 miles on my car a day). On top of that, the clutch dust of the Stage 1&2 Monsters isn't near as harmful and destructive as that of the LS7 and some other aftermarkets. My clutch fluid has never gotten murky or dark in the last year I've had my clutch (I do bleed it once a month though just to safe, getting to slaves on C5's are a PITB!) I've talked MANY friends into this clutch and they all love it as well. One of my friends has a H/C/I C5 Z06 with 460rwhp and his Stage 2 holds great. He's had it for 2 years as a matter of fact.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

I'm running the Monster Level 2 and I love it. I used it with my "cam only" setup and now with my 614rwhp turbo setup. I'm pushing it past it's rated power and it's holding it great so far. The engagement is very smooth and the pedal isn't stiff.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

No, you cannot buy our units without flywheels.

To get a quality clutch you're going to have to spend some money. That said we've got a couple of dealers/distributors on this site that have really good pricing.
Hmm...
Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Anything but a spec you will need a stage 6 they overate their junk and if you dd expect pressure plate failures and no warranty
Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Hmm...
LOL, hmmm indeed.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
I know Monster is not listed, but with your build the way it is (my C5 has about the same numbers as your car) I'd go with the Monster Stage 1 or 2. It costs a pinch more but it's totally worth it. Everything mates together perfect and holds power like CRAZY while still being 100% daily drivable (I put 20-50 miles on my car a day). On top of that, the clutch dust of the Stage 1&2 Monsters isn't near as harmful and destructive as that of the LS7 and some other aftermarkets. My clutch fluid has never gotten murky or dark in the last year I've had my clutch (I do bleed it once a month though just to safe, getting to slaves on C5's are a PITB!) I've talked MANY friends into this clutch and they all love it as well. One of my friends has a H/C/I C5 Z06 with 460rwhp and his Stage 2 holds great. He's had it for 2 years as a matter of fact.

Originally Posted by T AM
I'm running the Monster Level 2 and I love it. I used it with my "cam only" setup and now with my 614rwhp turbo setup. I'm pushing it past it's rated power and it's holding it great so far. The engagement is very smooth and the pedal isn't stiff.
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Hmm...
I ordered my complete clutch/hydraulic package through the guys. Could not have been anymore pleased!

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Thanks for a great clutch!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

7camaro7, A Stage 1 will provide a considerable increase in capacity over stock while providing great drivability. As a result it will easily handle your output and be suited to your driving needs. We offer both steel and aluminum flywheels but steel will provide a more street friendly option and lower cost than aluminum. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you! Thanks!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
I ordered my complete clutch/hydraulic package through the guys. Could not have been anymore pleased!

Thanks for a great clutch!
You're always welcome and thank you for choosing a Monster!

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch, Centerforce, or Spec Stage 1?