Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 noise question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pro 5.0 noise question...

Ive had my Pro 5.0 short throw in my car for about a year and a half now and since i put it in its been much noisier than stock. I tried re-adjusting the stop screws so the stick was not sitting on them and vibrating metal on metal but it still makes like a faint noise. Similar to if you were to put the tip of a screw driver ontop of your engine and put your ear to it, you'd hear the insides of the engine working. Sounds kinda like that except when i'm in every gear under normal driving conditions i hear this....i guess hissing? Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use the top portion of the stock shifter boot? Supposedly that would cut down on the noise.

I screwed up when I was cutting mine so I don't have it on top of the Pro 5.0, but mine doesn't make any noise..
Old 05-09-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i used the original boot, its not like a noise that any regular passenger would hear. But if the windows are up and the radio is off, for me, i can easily hear it. SOOO annoying, the thing is...i can deal w/ the noise, but if its something that can be messing something up in the tranny or something expensive like that, thats why i want to get opinions. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

The noise is normal.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its just normal vibration noise coming through the metal on metal contact.
I made a gasket and put that between the transmisison and the shifter. It cut down on the amount of noise that vibrates into the car drastically.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard alot of people say that they noticed more noise after changing their shifter due to cutting the boot or the not getting the boot back in correctly. I'd say its normal. I've heard various stock setups that made more noise then others that have had no problems.

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 noise question...