Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TR6060 Rattle (CTS-V)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I thought for sure mine was driveline and sounded like the heat shield at only low rpm's taking off ( like parking lots). I did not hear the supercharger rattle you are talking about ( many can hear theirs at idle and sounds like marbles in a can). Nope, mine did not have that sound that everyone is complaining about. I have what you described to a "T". Only at take off, low rpm and is you slip the clutch it is less... Right? The lead mechanic says they re designed the 14 supercharger isolator that is rattling in the other years. Now, this one is making noise in a different way from those. With supercharger disconnected, several launches, no noise at all. No need to a full highway test ride, as that is not where the problem is.
Feel free to call me
317.459- 9565
Christian
Old 08-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Well, it sounds totally implausible, but it can't hurt to try, right?

I appreciate the suggestion - thank you!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Well, I thought for sure mine was driveline and sounded like the heat shield at only low rpm's taking off ( like parking lots). I did not hear the supercharger rattle you are talking about ( many can hear theirs at idle and sounds like marbles in a can). Nope, mine did not have that sound that everyone is complaining about. I have what you described to a "T". Only at take off, low rpm and is you slip the clutch it is less... Right? The lead mechanic says they re designed the 14 supercharger isolator that is rattling in the other years. Now, this one is making noise in a different way from those. With supercharger disconnected, several launches, no noise at all. No need to a full highway test ride, as that is not where the problem is.
Feel free to call me
317.459- 9565
Christian
Old 08-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Disregard- accidentally sent again
Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AdmiralB
I took my car to RPM Transmissions - they're ten minutes away - and they basically said it's normal. According to them, it's the dual-mass flywheel, and while mine is definitely at the noisier end of the range (victim of tolerance stack I guess), it's no big deal.

I also spoke with the service guys at the only Cad dealer in the area which I know moves a lot of CTS-Vs, and they said they've had the same complaints - "I bought a $70K car and it makes this noise?" - but "they all do".

I still can't believe they all make the noise to this degree. I can't find a single mention of it on Camaro forums, and there have to be a lot more M6 ZL1s being sold than CTS-Vs.
Wow that's unreal you would figure they would have a $70k CTSV working perfect when leaving the lot that would bug the heck out of me like it did you! Good luck hope all works out bro. BB
Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Well, I tried the suggestion above...and...he's right - it's the supercharger.

That's the first thing I thought of, but the noise mine makes is nothing like the various videos of rattle out there on Youtube. But I slipped the belt off, noise gone (I'm surprised it even runs, let alone is driveable, with the belt off - Mad Max, here I come).

Doesn't make sense to me, but there it is. Much obliged, for sure. I get dumber every day...
Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Teching In

More...

...it seems the issue is the supercharger coupling, but not in the usual way.

Apparently, 2014s have a solid coupler, changed as a result of the marbles-in-can noise and shaft wear/bearing failures in the previous design.

The solid piece takes care of that, but if you dig up the 2009 post from the GM Powertrain guy where he explains why they went to the spring isolator - he basically predicts exactly what's happening to me. The SC rotors oscillate between driven/driving at certain engine speed/load conditions, causing rattling.

I've heard from some other people who have got the same thing as me, immediately after getting their superchargers replaced with the new model.

I'd expect automatics either don't have the problem, or that it's at least significantly attenuated, since the TC kinda 'soaks up' driveline oscillation. So I figure I'm at the end of the line, unless I can find a spring isolator and take a step back!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 902 Likes on 643 Posts

Awesome thread OP and everyone involved. I will have to file this information in the back of my mind. Maybe I will get to use it someday to make myself look smarter than I really am.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Teching In

There's a GM PIP on this, 5192 is the number IIRC. It basically says that all 2014 LSA cars, and any earlier model with an 11/13 or later supercharger replacement, might have this problem (with manuals) - but that it's normal.

I have heard from a couple folks with automatics that do have it, though.

It seems to be a resonance/harmonic thing - it seems only to affect the LSA, and only stock pulleys. That's why nobody who replaced the coupler themselves got this, 95% of the time (or more) they were also changing the pulley size too, which changes the resonance of the system.

I have verified that reverting to a spring coupler solves this problem, FWIW.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Teching In

- My dealer says they have spoken with the one person that is in charge of the supercharger program. They told me that they are aware of the problem on the new unit and will have a fix sometime this winter... So, for now, I am just waiting to see what the dealer tells me here in a couple to a few months. I will let you know what they come up with
Old 01-18-2015, 06:58 AM
Teching In

- My dealer has called and advised that GM has tested and approved a new design for the supercharger. Keep in mind, I have the '14 with gen 2 unit and this will be a third gen to correct the problem that came up when correcting the gen 2 was released to correct the '09-13' model rattle. Apparently the testing is complete and they will be addressing my car and at least one other customers car as soon as they receive the new unit. Supposedly the new supercharger will be shipped this month...
Old 10-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Teching In

hey guys, dredging up an old thread but I have a 2012 CTS-V sedan, auto that had the SC replaced in mid 2014. I have a SUPER annoying rattle that sounds like a case of beer bottles moving around. its not extremely loud but so far this is the only thread I have ever seen with someone having a remotely similar complaint. I get the noise when I go from drive to reverse (or vis versa) as well as under 10 mph on and off throttle, ESPECIALLY when using manual mode in a parking lot. It can be heard by passersby without a doubt and its gotten progressively louder in the last 2 months. its really been bumming me out because I couldn't find it. Fingers crossed its the SC as its still under warranty. I'll be checking this weekend. They really screwed the pooch with this design, huh?

what did they change for the "gen 3 repair"?

Quick Reply: TR6060 Rattle (CTS-V)