Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dreaded clutch issues 1999 FRC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded clutch issues 1999 FRC

Whats up guys!

So, I used to have a 98 SS... I'm aware of the issues with GM hydraulics...

Anyways, I recently picked up a 99 FRC M6 car. (3021 lb with A/C FTW!!)

So the car drives flawlessly... BUT- I am having some clutch issues, I haven't had a chance to put it up on the lift and bleed out the old fluid (car has 150k+ miles)

The more I beat on the car the more the hydraulics fail. High speed cornering with on/off WOT input.... street light to street light // interstate pulls all cause the effectivness of the hydraulics to diminish.

Also, I bought some brand new 275/45/17 ET streets the week I bought the car (it was the last track night before winter and I didn't want to have traction issues)

4500 RPM clutch dump with the ET streets = a 1.8 60ft and a completely useless clutch for about 2 minutes.

The reason I'm Posting this is I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and getting a good clutch for the car and throwing the best GM hydraulics (new master / slave) and a decent clutch (one that'll hold 600whp effectively) and I wanted some opinions on what to throw in to make my life a little easier.

I don't see the point of the McLeod adjustable master, but I'd like the nicest master / slave combo to make sure I don't have these issues any more.

Also, Who makes a decent single disc or affordable twin that wont die out from going to the track MAYBE once a month in less than a year? Planning on either mild headwork / mild cam with nitrous, or building a front mount single setup.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemean
Whats up guys!

So, I used to have a 98 SS... I'm aware of the issues with GM hydraulics...

Anyways, I recently picked up a 99 FRC M6 car. (3021 lb with A/C FTW!!)

So the car drives flawlessly... BUT- I am having some clutch issues, I haven't had a chance to put it up on the lift and bleed out the old fluid (car has 150k+ miles)

The more I beat on the car the more the hydraulics fail. High speed cornering with on/off WOT input.... street light to street light // interstate pulls all cause the effectivness of the hydraulics to diminish.

Also, I bought some brand new 275/45/17 ET streets the week I bought the car (it was the last track night before winter and I didn't want to have traction issues)

4500 RPM clutch dump with the ET streets = a 1.8 60ft and a completely useless clutch for about 2 minutes.

The reason I'm Posting this is I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and getting a good clutch for the car and throwing the best GM hydraulics (new master / slave) and a decent clutch (one that'll hold 600whp effectively) and I wanted some opinions on what to throw in to make my life a little easier.

I don't see the point of the McLeod adjustable master, but I'd like the nicest master / slave combo to make sure I don't have these issues any more.

Also, Who makes a decent single disc or affordable twin that wont die out from going to the track MAYBE once a month in less than a year? Planning on either mild headwork / mild cam with nitrous, or building a front mount single setup.
I'd recommend our new LT1-S twin disc if the budget allows otherwise for the power you're wanting to make our Level 3 single is a bang for the buck street/strip clutch. Your factory master as long as it's in good shape is perfectly capable of 1.4 60's as in my 99 frc I would recommend replacing the slave cylinder while in there which is included in our premium kits. Don't hesitate to call for a quote or if you have any questions, Chris 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: Dreaded clutch issues 1999 FRC