Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just finished my first clutch install !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished my first clutch install !!

Another thing done on this old ss , I just installed the new tick master and monster stage 2 clutch with a new slave and pilot. just took it to the corner and back and everything seems to be going ok !! ... the clutch lets out a little high i can probably adjust it but other wise everything else sounds good ....

Being this was my first clutch job and I had no hands on help from anyone I did an awesome job !!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats man! I know the feeling! Have you thrown the code PO704 yet? It took me about 400 miles before it threw it. Has to do with the clutch pedal sensor. I put 3 little magnets on the metal piece to make it push in the fitting and it worked. Check your cruise control. You won't have cruise if it throws. You decided not to put a speed bleeder in I see.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

was this a driveway install or did you have access to a shop? I only ask because I REALLY need to replace mine and I'm wondering how tough it is for a first timer. Only other thing holding me back is the money to buy a new clutch lol
Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Congrats man! I know the feeling! Have you thrown the code PO704 yet? It took me about 400 miles before it threw it. Has to do with the clutch pedal sensor. I put 3 little magnets on the metal piece to make it push in the fitting and it worked. Check your cruise control. You won't have cruise if it throws. You decided not to put a speed bleeder in I see.
I used the speed bleeder and was glad i did !! I bleed the hole system in like 2 mins
Old 03-22-2014, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thetmeister05
was this a driveway install or did you have access to a shop? I only ask because I REALLY need to replace mine and I'm wondering how tough it is for a first timer. Only other thing holding me back is the money to buy a new clutch lol
Yes this was a drive way job , Ive never done any type of work like this before and it was a piece of cake !!! I watch a few videos and read a few things and went out side and jacked the car up put it on some bricks and went to town with some basic hand tools ... I have no garage or air tools and i was able to get it done by my self except getting the tranny back into the car i had two other people help me other then that its a one person job . I also changed the rear main seal when i was under there
Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

The hardest part of this hole job for me was installing the tick master it was a pain in the a$$ to get to it and angle it right to bolt it in plus you cant see it from under the hood OR get to it , I did it by my self which i believe was the problem , i feel that's a two person job
Old 03-22-2014, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Good job brother. I guess im not the only one that hasnt had any problems bleeding this system. I blew the slave and after i installed the new one it only took about 20 minutes to bleed!!!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chevyman1968
Good job brother. I guess im not the only one that hasnt had any problems bleeding this system. I blew the slave and after i installed the new one it only took about 20 minutes to bleed!!!
yea man ive read so many posts about people having problems that i when i didnt have a problem i figured i did something wrong haha but ive only put a few miles on the car and never hit 4/5/6 gear so i cant say i did a perfect job yet !!
Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Default new clutch install a4 to m6 swap

just got done swaping my 98z from an auto to a manual 6 speed with a monster level 3,tick master kit. man this is the set-up.this thing drives awesome,1200 rpm at 60 is cool.still breaking in the clutch so not sure how its gonna launch,but the install was a cake walk,didnt even use the bleeder,still only took 15 min. a++ for monster and tick performance. f-bodys rule!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28 bullet
just got done swaping my 98z from an auto to a manual 6 speed with a monster level 3,tick master kit. man this is the set-up.this thing drives awesome,1200 rpm at 60 is cool.still breaking in the clutch so not sure how its gonna launch,but the install was a cake walk,didnt even use the bleeder,still only took 15 min. a++ for monster and tick performance. f-bodys rule!
Appreciate the kind words!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wavebyby
Another thing done on this old ss , I just installed the new tick master and monster stage 2 clutch with a new slave and pilot. just took it to the corner and back and everything seems to be going ok !! ... the clutch lets out a little high i can probably adjust it but other wise everything else sounds good ....

Being this was my first clutch job and I had no hands on help from anyone I did an awesome job !!
Glad to hear it went smoothly and you're enjoying it, thanks again for choosing a Monster!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats. I was forced to do a clutch in my old 04 GTO since I had no money for someone to do it. I'm glad I was "poor" at the time because I learned a lot and now that's something else under my belt. Now you won't be afraid to dive into another clutch job.

Clutch jobs are minor to most...but it has been the highlight of my "wrenching" being proud of myself for tackling it myself in a weekend and back on the road Monday morning.

Thumbs up for Monster...GREAT customer service and a great product!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Nice Job! I haven't done a clutch yet but do have a Tick master in mine although I have a feeling the clutch isn't too far off.

In regards to the pedal being higher did you adjust it? Loosen the bolts holding the turnbuckle then adjust by turning the turnbuckle. Take care that the end going into the cylinder doesn't just spin too. Here's an excerpt from Tick's installation instructions for you:

ADJUSTMENT

Since you increase the amount of fluid the system flows by setting the clutch pedal higher, adjustment will begin from the shortest setting possible. The pedal will appear to be about halfway down when compared to its location with the factory cylinder installed. Adjust the turnbuckle in 1-2 turn
increments to lengthen the rod (be sure that the rod coming out of the master cylinder itself isn’t spinning).
After each adjustment, start the car in neutral and attempt to shift into first gear. If it doesn’t go into gear smoothly, don’t force it (you’ll risk damaging your transmission’s fork pads and/or synchronizers). Simply continue to lengthen the rod until the transmission will slide into first gear smoothly while stopped. At this point, test drive the car to fine tune the adjustment to get the necessary release for higher RPM shifting.
DO NOT OVERADJUST THE ROD, or adjust it based on pedal height. If you adjust it to position the pedal at the factory height, you risk over-extending (thus damaging) the pressure plate.

You want to set your kit to flow just enough fluid – not too much, not too little. Correctly installed and bled, you will notice a pedal that is shorter and slightly more firm than it was with the factory master cylinder.

Quick Reply: Just finished my first clutch install !!