Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch only dis-engages 7/8 of the way out

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New clutch only dis-engages 7/8 of the way out

So I picked up a 95 M6 awhile ago and haven't had a lot of time to trouble shoot it. The previous owner had a new clutch installed by a "professional".

The clutch does not dis-engage until its 7/8 of the way out and slips at high rpm shifts. yes it had fluid and I bled the slave with no change.

Could it be a shim problem? This sounds different than most the other clutch problems I read about.

Any thoughts???
Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

The 1996 is an LT1 application, so there should be no shim used. This is a pull-type clutch, and as such is totally different. Is the OE flywheel being used? Has it been machined previously, maybe even more than once? It sounds like you are seeing pre-load on the bearing.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The 1996 is an LT1 application, so there should be no shim used. This is a pull-type clutch, and as such is totally different. Is the OE flywheel being used? Has it been machined previously, maybe even more than once? It sounds like you are seeing pre-load on the bearing.
O ok, I wasn't aware the shim issue was only a LS1 clutch problem. I don't know the condition of the flywheel as the clutch was replaced before I got the car. I am trying to get this thing going as quick and painless as possible to sell it.

Could this be the throwout bearing not engaging far enough? or more likely a flywheel?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:39 PM
FormerVendor

With pull-type clutches, if the flywheel is thin (or the geometry is off in some way leading the unit to be short), it will cause the bearing to be under constant pull from the fork which in turn will reduce clamp-load and cause unusual engagement position and travel, etc...

You could also have a bent fork, damaged pivot, incorrect/damaged slave, etc...
Clutch wear can also affect engagement. But it is hard to assess wear without being able to see the parts and take measurements.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
With pull-type clutches, if the flywheel is thin (or the geometry is off in some way leading the unit to be short), it will cause the bearing to be under constant pull from the fork which in turn will reduce clamp-load and cause unusual engagement position and travel, etc...

You could also have a bent fork, damaged pivot, incorrect/damaged slave, etc...
Clutch wear can also affect engagement. But it is hard to assess wear without being able to see the parts and take measurements.
Thanks J. That gives me some direction!

Quick Reply: New clutch only dis-engages 7/8 of the way out