Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Shifter Rattle - Not the shift Cup/Bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation T56 Shifter Rattle - Not the shift Cup/Bushing?

2000 t/a
Ls1 m6 (t56)
160k miles

Ever since I've had my clutch replaced by a shop I've been having an annoying shifter rattle when accelerating hard in 4th gear (Bolts on the shifter handle are tight). I proceeded to check the shifter cup/bushing inside the top of the trans but didn't notice any noticeable damage to it, maybe the tiniest amount of play but I imagine there has to be some for it to work?. I have a new shifter cup so I'll be replacing it anyway.

However, I did notice the upper part of the shifter had some side to side rattle (see video) - not sure how much of this is normal or if its the cause of my problem. I haven't taken apart the actual shifter yet, is there an adjustment for this or maybe a missing part?

Video:

Also, there is some kind of grommet/seal inside the bottom end of the shifter, this almost appears loose as I can see around it when moving the shift handle(previously sealed by silicone?). Also not sure if this is normal or how it's supposed to be. (see pic attchment)

Lastly, what kind of RTV/Silicone is recommended for sealing the shifter back to the trans? Anything special?

Any help on these details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails T56 Shifter Rattle - Not the shift Cup/Bushing?-img_20140420_184741_147-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by j498; 04-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: T56 Shifter Rattle - Not the shift Cup/Bushing?