Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

redline D4

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redline D4

Hi,

im soon to have my t56 back together after some repair and im thinking about running redline d4. anyone have any experience with it or something else they prefer? thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

love it... do a search lots of people feel the same way
Old 04-21-2014, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

redline d4 is very good.....but like any "synthetic" in the T56 it is not recommended if you have paper blocker rings. It may be because Tremac has not tested that specific brand or "synthetics" period are not compatable

I don't recall when Tremec (BW) went from paper to the newer carbon but from what I have "read" the 97 and older T56 had paper blocker rings

if synthetics do in fact not get along with the paper blocker rings....it will take some time so people who change to synthetics and say "works better" for whatever reason they have....would be good to know what "long term" effect, if any, they had

If your T56 has been "rebuilt", ask the builder what is compatible. My $02 is the sticker on the side of the t56 is pretty clear Dex3.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
redline d4 is very good.....but like any "synthetic" in the T56 it is not recommended if you have paper blocker rings. It may be because Tremac has not tested that specific brand or "synthetics" period are not compatable

I don't recall when Tremec (BW) went from paper to the newer carbon but from what I have "read" the 97 and older T56 had paper blocker rings

if synthetics do in fact not get along with the paper blocker rings....it will take some time so people who change to synthetics and say "works better" for whatever reason they have....would be good to know what "long term" effect, if any, they had

If your T56 has been "rebuilt", ask the builder what is compatible. My $02 is the sticker on the side of the t56 is pretty clear Dex3.
the trans is an early ls, spec dex3 on the side of the case

the trans has already been gone through and has some "upgrades" (carbon blocker rings, brass fork pads, etc...) so a synthetic should be fine.

i was debating between d4 and royalpurp
Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gear_grinder
the trans has already been gone through and has some "upgrades" (carbon blocker rings, brass fork pads, etc...) so a synthetic should be fine.

i was debating between d4 and royalpurp
synthetics, with the carbon blockers, is reportedly fine.

Have not used the Royal but have the D4 and it did smooth out cold notchy shifts.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal purple doesn't have the best reviews here at tech but I have not used it personally. The D4 I have used and it was definitely better than and of the dex alternatives I tried. I am trying AMsoil this time around. If it doesn't work out I'll go back to the D4.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Teching In

ive read a few threads of people using syncromesh. i dont know much about this fluid vs the atf's friction modifiers, etc...
Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've used both, they work well. The rp synchromesh style stuff isolated noise better.

Quick Reply: redline D4