Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GM LT1 Clutch 'On Car' Balancing Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default GM LT1 Clutch 'On Car' Balancing Instructions

I found this GM Bulletin proceedure for correcting a engine vibration above 3k rpm. Pretty interesting, although it talks about the dual-mass flywheel it should apply to the single mass flywheel. There are 12 holes in the back of the f-body FW for the balance pins. My own FW had 2 balance pins installed.
I was able to reduce the vibes I was getting with my Spec billet FW/ new clutch assy by using this info.
Update: added scanned document to fix broken link to service bulletin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LT1 FW Balance SB.pdf (2.27 MB, 564 views)

Last edited by guppymech; 10-29-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

the procedure is directed for Dual Mass FW. FWIW I have had "stock" FW neutral balanced at a machine shop which involved grinding off the cast in weight and using "pins" in the outer holes to balance.

The dual mass FW in the LT4 was used as those discs were non sprung. They were heavy & expensive. Most just went to a replacement standard FW with a spring hub disc clutch instead of buying a new Dual Mass FW on clutch swaps. Valeo made the OEM and most auto part store brands were also repackaged Valeos which were balanced to factory specs. Now there are just clones and those PP are not balanced like stock

For stock motors that are still external balanced. This procedure could be used to address vibrations with these "replacement" clutches available today

I have a 383 which is internal balance so I send my FW & clutch to a machine shop for balance (zero) before I install. Otherwise the motor would shake like a dog shiating razor blades

pic of FW with pins to balance
Attached Thumbnails GM LT1 Clutch 'On Car' Balancing Instructions-clutch-inst-4-flywheel.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 11:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by guppymech
I found this GM Bulletin
Interesting information!

Originally Posted by ******
The dual mass FW in the LT4 was used as those discs were non sprung. They were heavy & expensive. Most just went to a replacement standard FW with a spring hub disc clutch instead of buying a new Dual Mass FW on clutch swaps.
What sprung hub disc fit a standard flywheel and the Valeo PP? I haven't seen one; obviously the solid hub would work.

For stock motors that are still external balanced. This procedure could be used to address vibrations with these "replacement" clutches available today
True. It's unfortunate the new PPs aren't getting a quality neutral balance.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
What sprung hub disc fit a standard flywheel and the Valeo PP? I haven't seen one; obviously the solid hub would work.

True. It's unfortunate the new PPs aren't getting a quality neutral balance.
any replacement clutch, auto part store, Mcleod, SPEC, RAM, etc all have "sprung" hub discs for their clutches. True they also make some disc that are non sprung. You need a standard FW, not dual mass, to run a sprung hub disc

The LT4 used the Dual Mass FW. the LT4 clutch disc was solid, no springs

every LT1 clutch regardless of who sells them are LT4 PP which have greater clamp force than the LT1 PP

pic below is sample of clone PP and stock FW after I got them back from machine shop to make them "neutral" aka "zero" balance. Note the shiny pins in the FW on the edge of it. The 3 holes on the "tab" of PP is where machine shop took weight out (26 grms).

My experience with stock motors and various aftermarket clutches is they were all plug & play. The FW has a cast in weight.

My current motor is "internal" balance so I have to get my FW & PP neutral balanced. Even high $ billed "neutral" balanced FW's should be checked...everyone I have had needed balancing even though they were sold as "neutral" FW's
Attached Thumbnails GM LT1 Clutch 'On Car' Balancing Instructions-cn-pp-bal-26-grm.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

My point was a standard "push" disc (like 10.75" '88 Vette) with rear-facing sprung hub can't clear the Valeo PP in any circumstance.

And the "pull" disc with forward facing hub (93-97 F) requires a "deep" 93-97 F flywheel to clear the bolts to the crank. Which sounds like what you've been using all these years.

Quick Reply: GM LT1 Clutch 'On Car' Balancing Instructions