Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new tranny and rear end break in??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tranny and rear end break in??

im replacing my broke t56 and stock rear end with a t56 mag and a moser 9" and was wondering how i should treat it on break in and if i should change my fluids after a certain amount miles after? or any suggestions

Was also wondering how common breaking a trans and rear end at the same time is bc of to much power??

thanks guys
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you I would follow these rear end break-in instructions from Randy's Ring and Pinion. http://www.ringpinion.com/TechnicalH...r_Break-In.inc
By the time the rear is broken in I would think your trans will be good too. Change the lube in both at 500 miles. I followed the above guidelines with two rear ends with no problems. Some isolated hooliganism is okay too, just no long pulls.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rear axle ring & pinion break-in involves wearing in the gear teeth to each other over time so that friction and heat is reduced. on a newly machined gear set friction of the meshing teeth is high which generates heat. if you overheat the gear teeth, you weaken the metal and ruin the gear set. the big thing really is keeping heat low enough that the gear oil is not overheated, because that'll happen first which results in failed lubrication of the meshing teeth which also ruins the gear set. so you don't want to run a new gear set in an axle long and hard and overheat it, you want to do short trips then let it cool keeping oil temp below 200°F. the recommendation has been that after 500 miles of easy wear the teeth will have polished themselves into a good wear pattern, then you can run it long and hard with less risk of overheating.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys that really helps

Quick Reply: new tranny and rear end break in??