Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How can I make my stock M6 take 470+ rwhp and it hold together?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I make my stock M6 take 470+ rwhp and it hold together?

I dont have the money to go spend 4-5K on a built tranny, but i need to figure somthing out. I'm gonna go with a new clutch, but i know a new clucth wont keep me out of the deep water. How can i build up my stock M6 and make it a lil stronger to hold 470+ rwhp consistantly

Last edited by Ohmyneck; 05-18-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

take it easy on the shifts and launches and you're fine
Old 05-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Launching!

but if I take it easy I wont get the full potential out of the car. and I dont know how to take it easy. look at this CARTEK setup and see what you guys think.. should I be able to hold the power and not worry to much with maybe this setup?

CARTEK CLUTCH

Our clutch has been tested for some time now in vehicles using nitrous, stage 2 heads and cam with nitrous, twin turbos, superchargers and NA applications with awesome results. The high performance pressure plate and disc provides 100% more clamping force than the stock clutch assembly. If you're an aggressive driver, this clutch is a must. The CARTEK clutch includes our bronze/ceramic clutch disc, heavy duty pressure plate, pre-bleed modified hydraulics with DOT5 master with adjustable pedal rod and slave. This is a must have if you want the ultimate in proven clutch technology that delivers all the power from your engine to the wheels.

NO MORE BURNED CLUTCH SMELL AFTER A HARD LAUNCH AT THE TRACK !!!

OUR CLUTCH JUST GOT BETTER, NOW WE CAN MODIFY YOUR OWN MASTER CYLINDER SO YOU CAN SAVE MONEY !!!

CARTEK F-Body or C-5 clutch, disc, pressure plate and we will modify your own master cylinder for $629.95 ($125 master core charge)
CARTEK disk and pressure plate is $529.95
To modify and make your own master cylinder adjustable is $100
CARTEK F-Body clutch, disc, pressure plate with a new master and slave is $859.95
CARTEK C-5 clutch, disc, pressure plate with a new master and slave is $944.95.

To order the clutch call us at 908-317-4496.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:35 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm as far as the trans is concerned, DON'T dead hook, your tranny can take a **** load of abuse! trust me i know! if you can swing about a grand, get the viper upgrade, viper shift fork, and maybe upgrade your synchros. or forget the viper output shaft upgrade, my car went 9.60 with the stock internals cryo'ed.

g'luck....just my .02
Old 05-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taner
hmm as far as the trans is concerned, DON'T dead hook, your tranny can take a **** load of abuse! trust me i know! if you can swing about a grand, get the viper upgrade, viper shift fork, and maybe upgrade your synchros. or forget the viper output shaft upgrade, my car went 9.60 with the stock internals cryo'ed.

g'luck....just my .02
Well if it would be smarter for me to upgrade to te viper forks, and syncros I might do that Vs. gettin ported heads for the car. I just dont wanna get stuck out somewhere and things happin ya know? Much smarter to build a car that can handel the power first Vs. buliding it to haul *** once or twice
Old 05-25-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

also a tranny wont cost that much you can get a bullet proof one for 2000 from a very very good tranny place
Old 05-25-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you're going to be sticking with the 6-speed, I suggest learning how to rebuild it yourself. It'll save you a bunch of time and money. And it's not very hard to do. Paying someone $1000 every time the trans does something goofy will kill you.

As for the Cartek clutch... it's a decent clutch, I had one. It does hold well and drives well (stiff, but well). The only reason I took mine out was that it's not SFI rated - and a rare few have exploded - and since I'm spinning my motor to 7200+ RPM, I went with an SFI rated clutch (Ram VDS/910). It has similar driveability aspects as the Cartek (feels a lot like it, maybe a little grabbier).

The only 'real' upgrade I've done to my tranny is the steel 3-4 fork. I've gone through a number of parts though (2nd gear, sliders, blockers, mainshafts, etc). But since I build my own trannies, and pull them myself, it's not that expensive for me to fix.

And who says you can't dead hook. I love my 2-step set on 6200+.
Attached Thumbnails How can I make my stock M6 take 470+ rwhp and it hold together?-launch2.jpg  
Old 05-25-2004, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Nice launch. I like the priceof that cartek setup. Too bad its not SFI approved.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Launching!

And see thats what I wanna do Camroholic. I want to be able to launch like a ***** if i want and not worry about babying it off the line. I've never had a car thats faster than low 13's so with anything Its gonna take some time and practice of my launches. I do want to be able to pull the wheels like that though. Would definatly make the small crowd in Oklahoma look in suprise.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by taner

g'luck....just my .02

WHERE CAR I GET VIPER SYNCHRONIZERS AND SHIFT FORKS?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.ddperformance.com/
this is where i got all my parts

JR
Old 05-28-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Or do like I did. After 6 tannies, I gave up. I had the tranny rebuilt with all the goodies - 3/4 fork, cevlar syncos, etc, etc. Not a clutch problem, just the damn tranny wouldn't last. Just converted to a TH-400. I know I'll miss the 6 speed, but I did get the manual shift mode, so I will be shifting "somewhat". No more missed gears, no more blown synco's.

Anyone want a complete M6 set-up for a reasonable price?

David