Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st time clutch install, so far so good...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 1st time clutch install, so far so good...

After being on my to-do list for almost a year, I finally bought and installed a Monster Level 3 clutch with the 18lb billet flywheel, Tick MC w/speedbleeder and a new slave. This is my first clutch install and actually my first time pulling the tranny so I'm just a little but proud of doing it myself in my garage on jack stands

Just a quick question. Drove it about 30 miles so far and there seems to be quite a bit of chatter under 1800RPM. I'm assuming this is normal and part of the break in process?

I've been driving it gingerly but still notice how hard it grabs, love it. And I think people way over exaggerate the clutch pedal pressure. I was expecting to slam on the clutch to change gears but it's hardly firmer than stock, you can feather it nicely. Overall great products from Tick and SNL keep up the good work
Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! Chattering when new is common however could also indicate in proper torquing of the pressure plate. I wrote numbers on my pressure plate and drew lines to make sure I didn't miss any passes on a bolt

You should notice chatter going away after the first 500 or so city miles
Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

OP

more aggressive disc material typically results in "chatter", especially during the break-in period. You will find adjusting your engagement technique should resolve most of that. Try avoiding "slipping" the clutch so you don't wind up glazing the disc.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, the only time I "slip" the clutch is coming from a dead stop smoothly, all other gears I basically just dump the clutch.

Quick Reply: 1st time clutch install, so far so good...