Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange noise, sounds like a grind in or out of gear randomly... WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise, sounds like a grind in or out of gear randomly... WTF?

Ok I have been trying to trace this down for about a month now. I thought the Master was just going bad so I let it sit while I got my McLeod Clutch Master and the pieces I ended up needing that were not included.

After I got it in and bled (I used the stock Reservoir not the one they sent that was bigger and didn't look like it would mount in the stock location just encase that makes a difference) I thought all was good... no still the same issue.

What's happening is the car can be in any gear and it will sound like it's grinding but the thing is that it's already in gear or it's in Neutral. It makes no sense.
It happens when I am holding down the clutch coasting or during a shift occasionally. I just can't nail down a specific cause it randomly will make noise like starting it today after switching to Synchromesh it did it in neutral sitting in the shop with the clutch pedal depressed....

Could the Throwout bearing be going bad?
Could the Input shaft be grinding somehow?

When I get on it there is no issue shifting or driving this is just driving normal I hear it and it's making me nuts.

The car has 86k on it but the transmission was rebuilt around 35k with Viper Spec internals.

At this point I am lost, I have bled the thing until I am blue in the face going through a ton of fluid hoping it was an air bubble but it doesn't seem to be...

I need some help guys.

Oh and this is the 02 SS of my wifes not the Vette.

Quick Reply: Strange noise, sounds like a grind in or out of gear randomly... WTF?