Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slipping clutch, but clutch looks fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Slipping clutch, but clutch looks fine

Hey guys, I want to see pick your brains on something. Last week I lost pressure in my clutch petal. I thought it was the notorious master cylinder, so I took it to the transmission shop to have it looked at. They stated it was the slave cylinder leaking, and the master looked okay. I told them to replace the slave. I plan on upgrading to a Tick master this week.

During the test drive, the tech said the clutch hydraulics were working, but the clutch was beginning to slip in 3rd. The car has 16,000 original miles but has a Vortec supercharger making 460 WHP.

The transmission has a Spec Stage 3 clutch kit that was put in in 2004. The shop stated that the clutch looked like it was in good condition. They stated it was showing slight wear.

My question is, is it time for a new clutch, or could it be a pressure plate or something else making it slip?

I really don't want to play the replace-everything-until-fixed game, because I lose at that every time haha.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it leaked fluid onto the clutch it could have contaminated it causing it to slip. Normally there is no way to clean brake fluid off the friction material of a clutch and it should just be replaced.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting. Regular driving of the car won't burn the brake fluid off? I would have thought it would have.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Regular driving should see no heat whatsoever in the clutch plate to burn anything off.

Only slipping the **** out of it would do that....which would be very bad driving.

Brake fluid would tend to make the clutch very sharp though as well as potentially slipping.

I'd think it would take a lot of fluid leaking though to make it slip. Assuming the installation is good and correct, ie slave/release isnt holding the clutch open slightly, and fluid contamination is the only issue, simply replacing the friction disc and cleaning other parts should be all that's needed.

Or fit a new clutch, entirely up to budget.

Quick Reply: Slipping clutch, but clutch looks fine