Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bleeding the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bleeding the clutch

Do I disconnect the hydraulic line on the tranny and have someone pump the clutch pedal until all the air bubbles escape? Keeping in mind to have the master cylinder resevoir full at all times.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, you don't disconnect the line. Pump the pedal a few times, hold down the clutch pedal, have someone crack the bleeder valve (it's above where the line goes in to the trans, with a 7/16" socket), close the bleeder, then pull the clutch pedal up. Pump the clutch a bunch, then repeat. Check the fluid after every 2-3 "cracks" of the valve.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
No, you don't disconnect the line. Pump the pedal a few times, hold down the clutch pedal, have someone crack the bleeder valve (it's above where the line goes in to the trans, with a 7/16" socket), close the bleeder, then pull the clutch pedal up. Pump the clutch a bunch, then repeat. Check the fluid after every 2-3 "cracks" of the valve.
Thanks for the info. I pulled my engine and tranny when I fried the motor. Everythings back in and runs great. The only problem I'm having is shifting it into reverse. I really have to push it far to the right. It wasn't like this before the engine removal and replacement. I'm thinking that it needs to be bled.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are you having to push really hard on the shifter to get it in to reverse / to the right?

If so, then odds are that the electrical connector for the reverse lockout solenoid isn't hooked up properly, or a pin may have gotten bent or pushed out. Check it out. It's on the passenger's side of the trans, up near the shifter base. Check the pins inside the solenoid connector, and the pins on the wiring harness side.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Are you having to push really hard on the shifter to get it in to reverse / to the right?

If so, then odds are that the electrical connector for the reverse lockout solenoid isn't hooked up properly, or a pin may have gotten bent or pushed out. Check it out. It's on the passenger's side of the trans, up near the shifter base. Check the pins inside the solenoid connector, and the pins on the wiring harness side.
Yes I'm having to push really hard and up to the right. I had it on the dyno today and looked at it. It seemed to be hooked up. However, I didn't disconnect it and look at it carefully.