Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does the Drill mod help if you don't powershift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does the Drill mod help if you don't powershift?

I'm putting in a SPEC clutch and was wondering if I should do it. I read that it allows you to hit third gear faster also reducing slippage. My only opposition is that the point of the restriction is to soften the 'hit' when you engage the clutch. Will the car jerk after when the clutch engages? I like to race but I had to get a new tranz because of shifting too hard. I'm thinking maybe the restriction will be good so that I will have to slow down. On the other hand, I will be shifting at 6600rpm. Will not doing the drill mod do more damage than the 'hit' it causes from doing it?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you will do more damage by not doing the Drill Mod. Although the clutch may hit a little harder on engagement, it's not a bad thing. In fact, it's more of a positive feel rather than a jerk or a shock.
I've been driving around for about a week, with the Drill Mod, without any problems or drivability issues.
If you decide to do this mod, do yourself a favor and purchase a MityVac.

FYI, my bleeding procedure (reference only):
1) Bench bleed the Master using the MityVac (out of the vehicle)
2) Install Master and bleed using the MityVac (through the reservoir).
3) Pump the clutch a few times and bleed again until you get a good clutch pedal. (The clutch may squeak a bit but that's okay, it will go away after driving the vehicle)
4) Start the vehicle, make sure you can get into all the gears and take it out for a spin.
5) Repeat item 2, as required, and your done.

Note: Bleeding through the Slave was not required.

Hope this helps!

Mike