Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 with no reverse

Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 with no reverse

So i picked up my new 95 TA last week, got $500 off because the car has no reverse currently. Drove it home about 150 miles with zero issue with gears 1-6. But when i put it in reverse there is nothing there, no noise, no resistance, just nothing...like being in neutral. I've already dropped the car off and a friends with a lift, so we're going to get it opened up in the next week, but i'm just curious if anyone else has had this and what i should go in looking for?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Probably the fork is worn out.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Got the thing torn down, turns out the fluid got low and the heat fried some plastic parts that let the reverse slip down the shaft...also found that the output shaft and 5/6 gear splines are toast...looking like a mighty spendy fix
Old 01-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Is it worth getting the steel 3-4 fork and bronze pads? i'm thinking i may as well since i'm in here, but wonder what everyone's thoughts are.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxem
Is it worth getting the steel 3-4 fork and bronze pads? i'm thinking i may as well since i'm in here, but wonder what everyone's thoughts are.
I've been pulling together parts for my rebuild the last month or so, the 3-4 fork absolutely seems like a worthwhile upgrade. I don't have a choice due to my 3rd gear already popping and grinding but it's only like a $50 part. At least it sounds like you don't need to try and find a 2nd gear
Old 01-19-2015, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I've been pulling together parts for my rebuild the last month or so, the 3-4 fork absolutely seems like a worthwhile upgrade. I don't have a choice due to my 3rd gear already popping and grinding but it's only like a $50 part. At least it sounds like you don't need to try and find a 2nd gear
You're right, it could be worse, 1st through 4th were all just fine (which is strange to me since those are the ones i would think really get beat on, but i need a whole new reverse, 5th and 6th...i got it priced down to ~$600 for the necessary parts, then i just spent another $200 to get the steel 3-4 fork, 1-4 bronze pads, and 1-4 billet syncro keys...should be pretty stout when i'm done
Old 01-20-2015, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The t56 along with almost every other manual transmission is a stacked design where if no hard parts are missing, nothing can be misaligned. Id post pictures of what actually "slid down"
Old 01-20-2015, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by luigiandme
The t56 along with almost every other manual transmission is a stacked design where if no hard parts are missing, nothing can be misaligned. Id post pictures of what actually "slid down"
i can post up some tomorrow, the gist is that the thrust washer along with a couple other of the plastic parts got melted, and left some play that messed up some other junk, which led to reverse going MIA...i'll have to talk to the guy helping me rebuild it again to get it all straight and post up the specifics with pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-56 with no reverse