Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

chatter when not engaged

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default chatter when not engaged

I have a chatter sound that only happens when my clutch is not engaged. If I press it down the sound goes away. I pump it a few times about half way then let out and the sound gets quieter or louder also. Does it sound like a pilot bearing gone bad?
Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sladester2
I have a chatter sound that only happens when my clutch is not engaged. If I press it down the sound goes away....

The clutch is dis-engaged when the pedal is down. And is engaged with the pedal is up. What you describe could be one of the transmission bearings. At the same time it could also just be the typical chatter heard on most T56's from input shaft neutral rollover. If you don't hear it at all with the trans in gear and moving then it's probably nothing. If it goes away by 2,000 rpm that's still typical of input shaft rollover where the gears seat together better. If it gets louder above 2,000 it opens up the potential for bearing issues. That said, my car has similar neutral/idle chatter that goes away with the pedal down. It's also there in gear at higher rpms.

I took a few simple steps to quiet my after market Hurst shifter and the noises were reduced quite a bit. I took it to a well-respected performance transmission shop and the owner didn't feel it was a bearing problem. T56 rattles can be hard to nail down. Most are probably normal. If this is a sudden change then I'd look for something having become loose. Could be anything from something under the car, inside the trans, the shifter, etc.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a chatter sound that only happens when my clutch is not engaged. If I press it down the sound goes away.
seems like a conflicting statement

when you "press down" on the clutch the clutch is "not engaged"......and you say noise (chatter) happens when "not engaged" but goes away when you "push down" pedal which also means "clutch not engaged"...conflicting statement
Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry, the first guy got what I meant.. It only happens when the pedal is not pushed at all really.. I also can feel it in my shift ****, a little rattle or chatter. It does not get louder with rpm I only hear it at idle really
Old 01-12-2015, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, the first guy got what I meant.. It only happens when the pedal is not pushed at all really.. I also can feel it in my shift ****, a little rattle or chatter. It does not get louder with rpm I only hear it at idle really
Yeah, that's what neutral rollover chatter is all about (trans seeing harmonic vibrations from the engine output due the trans gears under low load/low rpm not being well seated and tending to float/chatter a bit). A noise with the pedal pushed in is often throwout bearing related. A slight chatter, whine, whirring sound going away with the pedal in is often neutral rollover in the trans. It seems odd at first that being in neutral with the clutch engaged produces a noise. But, that's what happens as the input shaft spins the trans gears when in neutral. The megaphone action of the shifter linkage to shifter shaft to shifter ball can make the tiniest little source rattle seem monstrous by the time it gets to your hand or ear.

If this has gotten worse lately then look into the shifter. Anything could have come loose in there. And there are numerous ways to help silence a "hard" shifter. The factory shifters had a bushing between the upper and lower shifter shafts that dampened a lot of the noise. Shifter ***** can be noisy all by themselves. I made a post on this last year about "silencing the T56 rattles." Lots of information there that I found from surfing numerous auto blogs.

If this noise has always been present I wouldn't worry about it unless it started getting a lot worse. A lot of people don't even know they have this noise. With the radio on or the windows down it's often drowned out. First time I ever heard it in a T56 I thought the dash fan was running.

http://rsgear.com/articles/2008_08.pdf

Last edited by Firebrian; 01-13-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

yep the "marbles in a can" sound of T56 in nreural, engine running, clutch out (not pushed in) is a common sound

I bought a new T56 in 05 from D&D and initial start up I about craped my pants. Found out is was normal. In my case it has gone away after putting some miles on it and now about 10 years later it is very quiet after several clutch swaps and a few motors works like a charm
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

It seems mine has gotten quieter over the years, the sound isnt coming from the shiter @firebrain, I hear it outside of my car, but when I am in my car I feel it from the shifter not the clutch, but with the clutch I can control the sound.

Quick Reply: chatter when not engaged