Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Trouble

Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Trouble

Well I've been having an issue a bit hard to described but I'll do my best. As soon as I press the clutch in troubles begin when I let out or keep the clutch down. It feels and hear something spinning and big rattles. Followed by grinding going into gears. Come to downshift same thing. Does it in every gear or when I'm out of gear it will grind and rattle. Then it will shift fine and then goes back to doing the same thing again. When it goes into gear its smooth and good. Not sure if the clutch is not engaging or did engaging. Not sure why it would do this even in neutral. Sometimes pressing down the clutch gets rid of the noise and rattles sometimes not. Is therea good tranny shop that don't rip me off so I can take it to in los Angeles area?. Kinda lost
Old 02-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like it may be your pilot bearing.. Try doing a search on what shop to goto. Id recommend a shop in reseda near WCCH, but they're not very patient if the issue ends up being something else..
Old 02-01-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya your not the first who said that. Its so all over the place. I think I'm gonna order a clutch and install it and see what happens.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I'd do if your clutch is stock. I'd recommend a monster stage 3 from ws6store.com , great prices. And as a precaution, if you plan on installing it yourself, only tap the pilot bearing in a few times at most to get it in flush.. Otherwise the bearings will take a dump on you again.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I take it in today to a clutch shop and drove perfect there. He drove it around the block several times and not a single issue. I know if i drive it on another day it will act up. I'm almost thinking its maybe the flywheel teeth that make the noise initially, then the clanking noise maybe flywheel or clutch and then it will start grinding into gear. Not sure if I should just pull the trigger buy clutch and flywheel or wait when its bad and drive it in that way. I can get a refurb Fidanza flywheel for 250 shipped or new 330 and can get a upgraded new clutch but it would be nice to know what's the problem. Problem is there in gear or neutral which makes it hard to get what it might be.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by karpetcm
I take it in today to a clutch shop and drove perfect there. He drove it around the block several times and not a single issue. I know if i drive it on another day it will act up. I'm almost thinking its maybe the flywheel teeth that make the noise initially, then the clanking noise maybe flywheel or clutch and then it will start grinding into gear. Not sure if I should just pull the trigger buy clutch and flywheel or wait when its bad and drive it in that way. I can get a refurb Fidanza flywheel for 250 shipped or new 330 and can get a upgraded new clutch but it would be nice to know what's the problem. Problem is there in gear or neutral which makes it hard to get what it might be.
Im really willing to bet its the pilot bearing still... Did the same thing with me.. i was able to drive it from Sacramento to Berkeley (1 hour drive) then to san francisco and back (another hour) then to san jose (45 minutes). Long story short, you can drive it and it will act right at times, but what you're doing is putting more wear on your input shaft that way..

So instead of paying for a tranny and clutch, just get the clutch..

Also, its best to get the clutch and flywheel as a kit.. Its cheaper that way..
Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just in case just thought about it and highly doubt it has anything to do with it. I sprayed a ton of wd40 on the clutch pedal and back side of it because it was squeeking that would not cause issues right. Maybe wd40 got to something and contaminated the oil. Not sure just throwing it out there. Doubt it but still. I went ahead and ordered clutch and flywheel as well.

Originally Posted by XDeath
Im really willing to bet its the pilot bearing still... Did the same thing with me.. i was able to drive it from Sacramento to Berkeley (1 hour drive) then to san francisco and back (another hour) then to san jose (45 minutes). Long story short, you can drive it and it will act right at times, but what you're doing is putting more wear on your input shaft that way..

So instead of paying for a tranny and clutch, just get the clutch..

Also, its best to get the clutch and flywheel as a kit.. Its cheaper that way..

Last edited by karpetcm; 02-08-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, highly doubt that could be the case.. Let us know how it all turns out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 Trouble