Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some advice about nascar clutch, lm7/t56 magnum

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice about nascar clutch, lm7/t56 magnum

I have a t56 magnum that I will use with my lm7, now Im searching for a clutch that will handle te power of a junkyard 5.3 turbo.

I have looked on 7.25 triple disc nascar clutches on eBay from QM and tilton like this two

QM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quarter-Master-7-25-Super-Pro-Triple-Disc-Clutch-26-Spline-NASCAR-/361156618088?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54169ca768&vxp=mtr
Tilton
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TILTON-7-25-3-Disk-Clutch-26-spline-Nascar-Racing-ARCA-QUARTERMASTER-/221604892766?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3398ae505e&vxp=mtr
I wonder what flywheel and throw out bearing do I need to make it work? I want to use a std mounted starter.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you looking at Nascar clutches.

Nothing wrong with the clutches on the market now for our LS engines/T56/Magnum boxes.
Plenty of cars running big power using McLeod, spec, Texralia,Monster etc etc.
CoSpeed on here running a special on Mcleod right now.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because its about 5 Times cheaper, its not so expensive to rebuild, many people here use them on high performance turbo cars with 4 and 6cyl turbos.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you already made up your mind.
multi discs pack more capacity in a smaller space......good if you need it. Do you?
They have lower reflected inertia for better shifting...less synchro load....do you need it?
Multi discs have some problems with quick release... enough to cancel out the plusses above ....especially if you don't need it.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Turbo

if the stack height of those 3 disc clutches fit within your bell housing and bolt to your fly wheel than go for it.

If all your "parts" bolt up than Tilton or Quarter Master makes a decent product.

FWIW I run a McLeod twin...but sounds like your build is completely different than mine

and the note in one post that said multi disc clutches don't have a "quick" release....that is one thing my twin absolutely has. No BS on engagement. You dump the clutch and bang, immediate engagement.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

There a couple of ways to tackle this. You can either run a full diameter flywheel for a 7.25" clutch (Tilton makes one, you'll have to check with QM if they do as well), or you can use an auto flex plate just for starter engagement and then use a button style flywheel, like this:

QM makes one for 6 bolt LS engines.

For the TOB you won't be able to use a stock bearing because these clutches use a flat diaphragm spring that need a radius faces bearing, instead of the flat bearing that is used with stock clutches.

QM makes an adapter plate that allows you to use one of their Tri-Lite bearing with a T56. Like this:

Once you figure out the height of the clutch fingers you can get various height pistons for the Tri-Lite to get the right gap between the bearing and the spring fingers. You'll want about a .125-.150" gap.

An alternative is to use the Clutch Masters flywheel for the 8.5" clutch. The 8.5" is made by QM for CM and you can run a single disk or a twin.

I used a single 8.5" in my LS6 powered RX7 (with a QM flywheel).

Andrew

Quick Reply: Need some advice about nascar clutch, lm7/t56 magnum