t56 wont engage gears without a fight

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 wont engage gears without a fight

Recently I purchased a 1999 z28it has about 110k miles on it
When purchased I knew the clutch was bad it slipped during the trial test drive
For 2800 I knew there would be some issues...

So I said okay will go for it...

Just thus week I had the clutch changed and the clutch cylinder to an OEM equivalent but the clutch still goes to floor to and the majority of the time
I have to fight with the gears to...

If i want to downshift to second I have first align it with first, engage first with out releasing the clutch then then straight down to second and release the clutch.. Going into third sometimes is not a problem but I get lockout if 4-5 and 6.. And I have to move the shift lever like I am doing a super combo in street fighter just to response out of the neutral position or simply get any lateral movement but still lock out of gears...

I read somewhere that you can't get lock of first.. But that happens and starting the car in third makes want to buy a mouth piece...

It's really random sometimes I don't have a problem
Hot or cold it still does the same issue...

Would a tick MC improve or just jump on rebuilding?

Link to rowing through the gear with the car running for 15 minutes, didn't take it for a drive... kids were coming of school..

all this with the clutch to the floor, 5 and 6 got louder as I started to release the clutch..

I will try to get a video of it later tonight, when traffic has gone down.

Last edited by molotov004; 03-09-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Update including video
Old 03-09-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't jump on a rebuild just yet. I'm having a similar problem and I know my clutch needs replacing which I'm doing this week so I'll get back to you if that fixes mine. Another thing is fluid, I just recently changed mine and since has been acting like you described so I need to make sure I filled it all the way, maybe worth checking in yours too.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

A few things to check -

1. bleed the slave. Yeah, it sucks to do it. If the fluid is gross, keep bleeding until it runs clear and bubble free.

2. If bleeding didn't help, then the master is most likely gone. The master in the F-body is weak. If you are going to replace the master, then get a tick.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Your problem is 100% to do with the clutch install.

Whether not fitted correctly ( kind of difficult to achieve that though if there is any level of competence with the installer ), or a hydraulic issue. It may just need bled, or it may need more work.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Default Update

ever since the video, I have replaced the MC with a TICK MC and GM Slave Cylinder... the problem is gone, and I am happy with the results...
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by molotov004
ever since the video, I have replaced the MC with a TICK MC and GM Slave Cylinder... the problem is gone, and I am happy with the results...
Damn,2800?!? You got a good deal. Unless there turns out to something catastrophic wrong with it.I'd take that deal all day . I'd take that for parts and to have another project.Glad you got that and hopfully it's just the clutch ,slave and mc. Even if it's a few more things it's still worth it!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Another win for the tick master

Quick Reply: t56 wont engage gears without a fight