Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Crappy Bleeder kits rant...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Default Crappy Bleeder kits rant...

[rant]

A while back I ordered a remote bleeder kit from Speedway. This was supposed to be a direct fit kit to be used with the stock 4th Gen f-body slave. This is going in my 1967 Cougar swap and I liked that Speedway offered different length hoses.

Here is the stock slave where the factory bleeder screws into. The threads are 10mm x 1.5 and you can see down inside that there is a concave sealing surface, which makes sense for a bleeder.

Here is the tip of the stock bleeder that seals against that seat:

Well, the adapter that I get from Speedway is 10mm x 1.5 but instead of a cone it has the same concave seat:

So how is that supposed to work? Well, in the brilliant minds of whoever put this kit together at Speedway, they give you some aluminum crush washers:

While there is nothing wrong with crush washers, they are: a) designed to mate with a flat machined surface (that the slave does not have), and b) the fitting isn't supposed to bottom out before the washer gets crushed, like this one does. It's no wonder people have leaks!

Moving to the other side of the -3 hose we have another fitting that is supposed to transition from -3 male to 1/8 NPT...or so I thought. Here is the fitting:

If you look down inside, you can see that it too has a concave seat. To make matters worse, the threads are not NPT, but are straight 3/8" x 24, whereas 1/8" NPT threads are 3/8" x 27 and are cone shaped. Presumably, the little fitting that screws in that adapter is supposed to seal against the 3 threads that actually engage, and then seal on the red "monkey spunk" that is on the fitting:

Here are both ends of the crappy bleeder "kit."

I ordered a proper fitting to go into the slave and seal against the seat, I will keep the hose, and the fitting on the end, but instead of that crappy NPT bleeder, I ordered an Earl's Solo Bleeder fitting that will seal against that seat. UGH...

[/rant]

Andrew
Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monster sells one with the right slave fitting. I don't like the crush washer either. I want a higher likely it will seal the first time

Last edited by badazz81z28; 03-11-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

A bunch of little parts showed up including the Earl's Solo Bleeders for both of the front calipers (not pictured) and the clutch bleeder:

Fits properly into the AN -3 to 3/8" x 24 concave flare fitting that came with the clutch bleeder kit. These are really slick. Crack the bleeder, step in the pedal, fluid comes out, but as soon as you release the pedal, the built in spring seats the plunger against the cone so air can't get back in. These will make life much easier when the time comes to bleed the clutch and the brakes.

The fitting for the slave cylinder is somewhere in UPS hell, but with some luck will show up on Monday.

Andrew
Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark me as a second person who had this problem with the Speedway Motors Remote Bleeder. Only I didn't find out until I had everything installed and now I have to yank the trans again.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the reason I started making speed bleeder kits long ago. I found numerous issues with aftermarket kits and just wasn't happy with any that I saw.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I put in a review on the Speedway Motors site and they actually put it up, so hopefully they will either fix the problem or people won't buy them anymore.

Quick Reply: Crappy Bleeder kits rant...