Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 first gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
Default t56 first gear grinding

I bought/ installed a used t56 from another member on the forum. It was supposed to have 95k miles and in good working condition.

I installed a tick speed bleeder with my new hydraulics and they seem properly bled and I have a good pedal.

If you rev the car in neutral then push the clutch in and try and get it in gear, it just grinds. took the car out on the road and second gear is also iffy but not as bad. All others gears seem fine. If Im sitting still, and put the car in another gear, then go to first it drops in.

Does this just sound like syncros/blocker rings?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That was how my transmission problems started, during the rebuild we found that the dogteeth on 1st were totally demolished. Which MC are you using?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

Stock hydraulics. Hopefully it just needs new syncros and blockers and gears are ok.

I know I was buying a used part, but definitely wouldn't pay as much as I did for this pile.....
Old 03-14-2015, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Before you dig into the trans, I'd verify your hydraulics are good. On a level surface, push in the clutch all the way, put the car into first (it may grind getting in there) and then while the clutch is still on the floor run the engine through the rpm range. If you car makes any effort to move forward your clutch isn't disengaging correctly/completely and you need a good MC upgrade.

If that isn't the case try to do the rebuild before your gears are too beat up.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

I re-bled the hydraulics using the tick speed bleeder. Nothing but clean fluid coming out, I filled a 20 oz pop bottle half full. The hydraulics are working as the should. With the car up on the 2 post lift so the tires are off the ground, I can put the car in 1st gear and rev the engine with the clutch pushed in with 0 wheel spin.

I wish sellers could be more honest about things like this. I mean its the 1st and second gear syncros, not hard to verify if the trans shifts into them good or bad.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
I re-bled the hydraulics using the tick speed bleeder. Nothing but clean fluid coming out, I filled a 20 oz pop bottle half full. The hydraulics are working as the should. With the car up on the 2 post lift so the tires are off the ground, I can put the car in 1st gear and rev the engine with the clutch pushed in with 0 wheel spin.

I wish sellers could be more honest about things like this. I mean its the 1st and second gear syncros, not hard to verify if the trans shifts into them good or bad.
I'd still swap out your MC while you're in there. But it does sound like your synchros are fried. At least after a rebuild you'll end up with a much better trans.

Quick Reply: t56 first gear grinding