Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Z06 clutch problem solved. A little long

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 clutch problem solved. A little long

I had a Ram 402 pp and 980 disk installed a while back at a local mechanic shop. When I picked the car up, It would barely shift because it was the clutch was not releasing far enough. I then talked around and was told sometimes with this setup you might need an adjustable master cylender. I purchased a Ram adjustable and had it installed. The car would not shift much better and got prgressivly worse. Yesterday I dove in to bleed the system 1 more time. I had my Fiance pumping the clutch pedal up and she asked why is the wet stuff hitting my leg? I ooked and saw my 2 week old $180 Ram adjustable master cylender was spraying fluid out the boot from the back side of the piston.
Luckily I still had the stock unit, so I pulled the Ram unit out,(*not hard at all) and examined my stock unit. With very little effort I made the stock unit adjustable and installed the old stock master cylender. Bled the system and after 2 months of Mechanic shops not being able to fix it, I had a beautifully working clutch with a garage built master cylender. I guess the moral is either take your car to Andy at A&A or do it yourself.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, your poor fiance got brake fluid all over her leg. Luckily she accepted your proposal so you're good to go

Congrats on the fix.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to see that fixed it. I'm getting ready to put in a 980 with an aluminum flywheel in my car. What are your impressions on this setup? Does it chatter badly?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

It does chatter a little, but not horrible. I have not had the oppertunity for a hard clutch dump with tire on the car, but it hlods beyond well with the F1's. The peddle pressure is not overly firm, very stock feeling.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Malibu Vette
I had a Ram 402 pp and 980 disk installed a while back at a local mechanic shop. When I picked the car up, It would barely shift because it was the clutch was not releasing far enough. I then talked around and was told sometimes with this setup you might need an adjustable master cylender. I purchased a Ram adjustable and had it installed. The car would not shift much better and got prgressivly worse. Yesterday I dove in to bleed the system 1 more time. I had my Fiance pumping the clutch pedal up and she asked why is the wet stuff hitting my leg? I ooked and saw my 2 week old $180 Ram adjustable master cylender was spraying fluid out the boot from the back side of the piston.
Luckily I still had the stock unit, so I pulled the Ram unit out,(*not hard at all) and examined my stock unit. With very little effort I made the stock unit adjustable and installed the old stock master cylender. Bled the system and after 2 months of Mechanic shops not being able to fix it, I had a beautifully working clutch with a garage built master cylender. I guess the moral is either take your car to Andy at A&A or do it yourself.
i have installed the Ram 910 and Mcleod adj.....working fine with no chatter, initially had a wot shift concern but added some shims and problem appears solved...holds my power and no chatter or bucking...this is after two Spec 3s that were nothing but chatter and problems...i am happy with RAM.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 CU
i have installed the Ram 910 and Mcleod adj.....working fine with no chatter, initially had a wot shift concern but added some shims and problem appears solved...holds my power and no chatter or bucking...this is after two Spec 3s that were nothing but chatter and problems...i am happy with RAM.
I just installed a spec 3i and this thing feels like stock and grabs like a ****.I used all my stock stuff over because I have the ZO6 upgraded system.So fa, so good.I'm going to the the track in less than 24 hours to put it to the test