Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse Lockout Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Reverse Lockout Questions

So a couple years ago I had a problem with blowing the engine sensor fuse that takes out the MAF, o2 sensors and the reverse lockout. Car sat for a year and now that I am driving it again the problem has been brought back to my attention. The car will be tuned open loop only so I don't care about those sensors working but want the reverse lockout to function properly.

I noticed after replacing the fuse one time that at random times my lockout would stop working and allow me to hit reverse no matter what speed I was going. Could my reverse lockout be bad and causing the fuse to blow every time I replace it? What else would cause the lockout to default open and allow reverse to be used at any speeds until the fuse blew? (once the fuse blows it then blocks reverse like it should)
Old 07-18-2015, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
So a couple years ago I had a problem with blowing the engine sensor fuse that takes out the MAF, o2 sensors and the reverse lockout. Car sat for a year and now that I am driving it again the problem has been brought back to my attention. The car will be tuned open loop only so I don't care about those sensors working but want the reverse lockout to function properly.

I noticed after replacing the fuse one time that at random times my lockout would stop working and allow me to hit reverse no matter what speed I was going. Could my reverse lockout be bad and causing the fuse to blow every time I replace it? What else would cause the lockout to default open and allow reverse to be used at any speeds until the fuse blew? (once the fuse blows it then blocks reverse like it should)
The reverse lockout needs power in order to allow shifting into reverse. The default state is locked reverse. If you are blowing fuses, either the solenoid itself is bad or you have a short in the wiring.

Andrew
Old 07-18-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, right now since the fuse is blown I have to push through it so without power its working properly. Once I add power to it (new fuse) its a guessing game as to whether or not the lockout works properly. I think I will start with a new lockout and see what happens.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

If you find that your wiring harness is furber somewhere causing the short and can't trace that (assuming the RLO is not bad) you can always just wire the RLO to your brake switch. You need to have your foot on brake to activate RLO release

The short may have nothing to do with RLO but since you abandoned the other sensors and will run open loop you can bail on that entire circuit and just run RLO to brake switch/wire if it turns out the RLO solenoid is not the issue
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be too early to say for me, but I was having the exact same problem of the reverse solenoid randomly engaging while driving around and allowing me to go into reverse instead of 5th/6th. I recently fixed a loose connection to my shift light that was causing it to randomly flash at higher rpms instead of staying solid, and now it seems my reverse lockout works fine. Also, curiously, my O2 SES light also went out, which has never happened before. Maybe that loose connection was jacking with the ECM, never noticed any RPM weirdness while logging data though.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think I have a shift light tucked away anywhere but then I've never looked either lol

Quick Reply: Reverse Lockout Questions