Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunk when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Clunk when shifting

I've got a pretty nasty 'clunk' when shifting. It started off as just 4th gear when I first got the car, now it seems to do it on every gear but 6th.

It (usually) doesn't make the noise when I'm able to rev-match the engine, but still does it on occasion.

The source of the noise seems to come from right next to my foot (and I can sometimes feel it in the clutch pedal itself) right where the bellhousing meets the engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PS I'm very noobish when it comes to the internal workings of a transmission, so please forgive any stupid questions I may have.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody has any ideas?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same thing. Usually it feels perfect and smooth but sometimes it feels like the trans is going to drop out of the car.

Hoping it's a simple fix and someone can shine some light on this, we can't be the only ones to be dealing with this..
Old 07-21-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

There's pretty much two things it will have to be. Either the clutch is not fully disengaging or its the synchronizers going out.

If it's the clutch not disengaging, there's a very high percentage chance its the master cylinder going out. Beyond the master there have been a few threads here lately where someone has had a pressure plate failure, not allowing the clutch to move like it should. The quick and dirty test for the master cylinder is with the car off, it shifts easily into all gears, but has issues while running.

If it's the synchros, you're in for a tear down. But you won't know that until you rule out the clutch. FWIW, I thought my trans was going out, but redid my clutch and master first, because it was easier, and I no longer worry about the trans being on its way out.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I know the car will easily shift into any gear while the car is stopped, engine running or not. The only gear I ever really have trouble with is reverse, and occasionally it'll pop out of second when it's cold.

Guess it's time to find a shop and have a teardown done. That or send it to tick for a rebuild.

Edit: If I go through Tick, I was planning a 450rwhp build. Should I go stage 1 or 2?

Last edited by HappySalesman; 07-22-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Darth, confirmed what my thoughts were. Have a master to put in saturday, hopefully that fixes it.

OP: I would personally go with stage 2 incase you get a little carried away, and if not atleast there is plenty of cushion. Just my thoughts, I know almost nothing about transmissions though.

Quick Reply: Clunk when shifting