Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter - High effort and slightly notchy

Old 07-29-2015, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Default MGW Shifter - High effort and slightly notchy

I had a rattle and loose feeling recently coming from the F-Body MGW shifter on my LS swapped BMW. After some inspection, I found that the small nylon/delrin washer that sits underneath the shoulder bolt had cracked and split. Washer shown here in white, just ahead of the shifter shaft (not my pic)

Name:  MGWshiftermounted2.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  57.0 KB

So I removed what was left of it, and replaced it with a regular steel washer. Buttoned it all back and up and the shifter felt VERY precise compared to before, although lever effort also seemed to have gone up considerably, which is kind of a pain - fast shifts are now more difficult, especially at high RPM. I am wondering if that nylon washer had anything to do with lever effort.

It should be noted that the trans did have the fluid changed just a few weeks before the above happened - this is the stuff I am using. Fluid level is correct.

Trans is an F-Body T56 that was rebuild to stage 2 specs by Texas Drivetrain Performance. They did a great job and I've never had any sort of issue with it.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the pics in this thread. I don't think the replacement of that washer has any effect on the force required to shift the trans.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-pictures.html
Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks. I think I might try a different fluid, we'll see.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I'm using the same Castrol Trans lube as you and I feel it gives marginally smoother shifts than the Valvoline des/merc I previously used. I've got a theory that the higher the pivot a aftermarket shifter has the more notchy it will be as it moves the shift rail faster for the equivalent shift speed. At some imaginary extreme shifter pivot height a normal shift speed would move the shift rail at the same speed as a shorter pivot does when power shifting. If that makes sense.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

put some cheap dex 3 in there and do the antivenom mod.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Notchy is less rubber crap in the shifter to dampen it. If you don't like the positive shifting and claim "high effort" from a MGW then switch to an auto...

MGW makes the best shifter out there. Had on in my 04 GT, 03 Mach 1 and 04 GTO. Eventually I will work one into my 95 Z but the B&M is sufficient for now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MGW Shifter - High effort and slightly notchy