Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whats wrong with my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats wrong with my clutch?

I was driving the other day and the car kept hitting harder and harder to shift into gear. Well I noticed as the day went on that the pedal went more and more to the floor. Now the pedal is soft until you get about 1/2" from the floor and thats where it engages. Now I can BARELY get it into 1st but it won't go into reverse at all. The more I pump the pedal the easier it is to get into 1st but It still won't easy. Whats wrong?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

BTW It is a SPEC Stage 3 that was put in about 3 months ago. I didn't bleed the clutch after I put it in either, could that be it? If so How do I bleed it?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have that same problem with my centerforce. did you put in a adj. mastercylinder? i think that my clutch is just misadjusted and may possibly have the same problem. at times when i get on it i have to yank it out of first and it doesnt really want to go into 2nd unless i make it also some times it's hard for me to put it in reverse as well.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:30 AM
11 Second Club

Your clutch isn't fully disengaging. Its likely that some part of your hydraulics is leaking. Check your fluid levels under the hood, and then check for signs of leaking fluid under the car. It could very well be leaking out of the slave into the bellhousing, which would be bad on the clutch.. so it wouldn't be wise to drive it long distances or at all if this is the case.

One way of seeing if the hydraulics are up to snuff is to see if the clutch is disengaging properly. I do this by jacking the car up and securely placing jackstands under it, and I usually keep the jack under it for safety also. Get in the car, engage the clutch and crank it, put it in 1st gear, shift to 2nd.. 3rd.. keep the clutch pedal engaged. If your cars wheels move during this period of time, then your clutch isn't fully disengaging. If you cannot find any leaks, and the fluid levels are fine.. I would try bleeding the clutch. Its likely if its a leak when you bleed it, it will really start to surface. As it did on mine the two times I've had hydraulic leaks. If it doesn't have a leak, then it should solve the problem. If not, its the actual clutch assembly.

I bleed the clutch by pumping the clutch, then opening the bleeder and letting the air out, and let it go until it just drips fluid.. I usually let it drip a few seconds then close it, and repeat. Eventually, most the air will come out. There are other complicated methods, but doing this should at least get the car to where its near perfect. Sometimes folks have problems engaging gears at high rpms in like 3rd and 4th, and thats when its time to try a vacuum pump You can do a search for buschmans(sp?) write up for that info. You can also see some pretty detailed clutch bleeding/install and hydraulic install methods at installuniversity.com.

Peace,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 06-08-2004 at 03:37 AM.