Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 with transmisison/clutch issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 with transmisison/clutch issues...

Hey folks... its been a long time but I'm back on team LS1.

I did some searching but am not finding the answers I'm looking for.

I recently purchased a '00 Corvette m6 and am having some shifting issues. Symptoms include the car being VERY difficult to shift into reverse. I can find the gate ok but the forward pressure to actually put the car in gear is extraordinary. Additionally, with my foot off the brake, when I shift into 1st the car lurches forward and inch or two. Shifts while moving are a little clunky as well.

I assume all of this is due to the clutch not fully disengaging. This car had a McLeod clutch and aluminum flywheel installed 2 years ago by a very reputable local tuner and has apparently had this issue ever since, but the owner never had it corrected.

I would like to inspect the engagement without pulling the tranny apart and measuring everything. Is it possible to properly inspect the clutch gapping without pulling the tranny?

The reputation of the shop that installed the clutch has me second guessing my current diagnosis, so before I go the Tick master or slave shim route I would like to verify the issue.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was able to get the car on some level ground today and with the clutch in and revs around 5000rpm it moves forward. Thus, my suspicion of the clutch not fully disengaging are confirmed.

Also, for what its worth the car has a McLeod RXT clutch.

Plan to give Tick a call on Monday to inquire about an adjustable master cylinder to fix the issue. Thinking I would like to go with the 13/16" rather than the 7/8".

Anyone with some experience with this set up?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine goes forward a little as well when I put it in gear, but only sometimes, have no idea why, tried adjusting the master and it still did it.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Look into the DIY master cylinder mod. Where you disassemble it and modify the stock one. IT WORKS.. It takes no time to remove a stock C5 master and modify, and put it back. Nothing to lose if it don't.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, Im going to give that a try. Hopefully adjusting the stop will give the extra volume I need to fully dissengage.

Link to DIY: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...r-writeup.html
Old 09-20-2015, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get on McMasterCarr.com, and order you a heim joint. It's like 10 bucks. and you will alleviate your problems, I'm sure of it. Please return with your results to help guys out that have the same problems.

Quick Reply: C5 with transmisison/clutch issues...