Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HINSON Motorsports
There has been a couple of different versions since this shifter came out. If yours doesn't have the offset like in the photo then you have the shifter that was version 1.0. The only difference is the offset handle.
OK. So how do I get the offset handle? I bought the shifter in October of 2015.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeff morgan
OK. So how do I get the offset handle? I bought the shifter in October of 2015.
That was prior to the design change. There is not a way to make yours an offset handle without a total reconstruction of internal parts, stubs, etc.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

So the package will only include the shifter, shifter handle, 2 bolts for the handle, and a shift ****? No RTV, new shifter bolts etc? Sold my T56 with shifter, didn't think to keep the bolts. Need to know if I should pick up new ones..
Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
So the package will only include the shifter, shifter handle, 2 bolts for the handle, and a shift ****? No RTV, new shifter bolts etc? Sold my T56 with shifter, didn't think to keep the bolts. Need to know if I should pick up new ones..
The shifter purchase will come with shifter, shifter handle, and 2 bolts for the handle. We offer options to purchase the a shift ball with the shifter. We do not offer bolts or boots. The bolts that bolt the shifter into the transmission can probably be purchased at local dealership or bolt house. They are a
M8-1.25x20mm bolt.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HINSON Motorsports
The shifter purchase will come with shifter, shifter handle, and 2 bolts for the handle. We offer options to purchase the a shift ball with the shifter. We do not offer bolts or boots. The bolts that bolt the shifter into the transmission can probably be purchased at local dealership or bolt house. They are a
M8-1.25x20mm bolt.
Yeah I got my shifter yesterday haha. Picked up the bolts at a local hardware store. Can't wait for my built t56 to show up Monday and try this out.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
Yeah I got my shifter yesterday haha. Picked up the bolts at a local hardware store. Can't wait for my built t56 to show up Monday and try this out.
Sounds good man. Thank you for the purchase. We know you will love it.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I installed mine a few days ago. Is it normal not to center itself once you move it to the right? It centers itself fine when coming from the left.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by yotaman96
I installed mine a few days ago. Is it normal not to center itself once you move it to the right? It centers itself fine when coming from the left.
in for this answer.
and also for some feedback about 6-4 shifts or 6-3.
my t56 came home yesterday and needs a shifter. since i have nothing, i'll be following this thread closely.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this with my stock shifter. If you push it to the right, from neutral, it can just stay there without returning to the center. When moved to the left, it always re-centers.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Beauty shot:

Photographer - Ethan Vibbert
Old 04-11-2016, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is normal and how are mechanism is designed to work.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002ArticWhiteSS
Beauty shot:

Photographer - Ethan Vibbert
Photos look awesome man. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

considering ordering one. I still have the stock hurst shifter in my car that ive had for 12 years, w/ a lou's short stick. I'm assuming that the short stick will bolt right to the hinson shifter???
Old 04-13-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Damn you guys are making it hard not to try one out to replace my MGW. Just wish i knew someone who had one of these before i shelled out the $$$ for it.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000NavyZ
considering ordering one. I still have the stock hurst shifter in my car that ive had for 12 years, w/ a lou's short stick. I'm assuming that the short stick will bolt right to the hinson shifter???
I'm pretty sure it will work, but I think you will find it to be a little too short.

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
Damn you guys are making it hard not to try one out to replace my MGW. Just wish i knew someone who had one of these before i shelled out the $$$ for it.
A lot of people have made the swap from all brands and were glad they did.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered one through amazon for my 89 GTA that still has a stock t56 shifter.

I've got a MGW in my 01 and planned to get one for the GTA, but this thread convinced me to try the Hinson.

The GTA has a Monster stage 2 clutch, Tick master, and I rebuilt the trans with a stage 2 kit from Tick. A new shifter will finish off the trans mods. I'm excited to get it in and try it out.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed mine last night and initial impressions are positive. I bought the version with the non-offset handle and while it feels a bit off to the right at the moment, I will drive it a bit and see how I like it. I didn't want to jump right into moving the handle a touch since I wasn't sure if it would effect the intended design/geometry of the unit.

I am coming from a Hurst plus, Lou's short stick and Hurst ****. I still need to take the car out this weekend for actual driving impressions but I did mess around with it in the garage. The shifts with the Hinson are as effortless as the Hurst but with a much more bolt-action feel. The engagement is very discrete and I honestly can't see how you can miss the 2-3 shift. It wants to go into 3rd from 2nd gear by simply pushing upward. I never had an issue with the 2-3 but I was always cautious to just slam it home. With the Hinson, I don't think I will have any concerns.

I will follow up with driving impressions/pics when I get the car out this weekend.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

I only have a few miles on it, and I am breaking in my fresh t56, but I love it so far. Looking forward to get some hard miles on it soon.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
I am coming from a Hurst plus, Lou's short stick and Hurst ****.
Please do report back. I am in the same situation and looking to make this move, also. (Once my body restoration is done.) I have noticed that the springs in my Hurst Billet Plus have gotten soft over the years...

Lou's stick has the handle canted towards the driver (due to the bend in the stick) when it's in 3rd and 4th, which I would think makes it feel "closer" to the driver. Since this latest iteration of the Hinson unit physically moves the stick over to the driver but keeps it upright, I'm hoping that this (truly upright) version will be more precise compared to what we are used to having.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Please do report back. I am in the same situation and looking to make this move, also. (Once my body restoration is done.) I have noticed that the springs in my Hurst Billet Plus have gotten soft over the years...

Lou's stick has the handle canted towards the driver (due to the bend in the stick) when it's in 3rd and 4th, which I would think makes it feel "closer" to the driver. Since this latest iteration of the Hinson unit physically moves the stick over to the driver but keeps it upright, I'm hoping that this (truly upright) version will be more precise compared to what we are used to having.
Will do and yes, the Lou's short stick has that bend you mentioned. I have a feeling I won't mind the current position but we will see once I drive it. Weather might be garbage tomorrow but I should be able to get it out Sunday worst case.

Quick Reply: New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available