Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Damn skippy it could
Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Either everyone around here with an RPS triple cant install a clutch or they are junk. I'm not impressed with the multiple failures I have seen from them. If you want a carbon triple why not just go straight to Tilton? They invented it after all. I don't get why import guys can go fast with these little Tilton clutches and its something of a black art to domestics? They do the same thing we do, build all the boost off the line and send it.
Is that specific to the triple disc? I've been running the RPS twin billet for two years now and been extremely happy with it.

Mine don't have any springs though other than the PP itself.

I agree about the domestic guys. If it works for a 2.0 Honda should be fine on a LS anything.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Is that specific to the triple disc? I've been running the RPS twin billet for two years now and been extremely happy with it.

Mine don't have any springs though other than the PP itself.

I agree about the domestic guys. If it works for a 2.0 Honda should be fine on a LS anything.
Yes the triple. Some of it may stem from slave cylinder selection and not having room for clutch wear, others might be from over extending the pressure plate and not using a pedal stop but I cant confirm. After setting up an aftermarket slave I would never go back to stock junk and a pedal stop is easy to setup. However I assume anyone spending $3500+ on a clutch would set it up properly?

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
That's not a coyote stock car running 9.4s

Tilton ftw!

What it comes down to is there is more than one way to skin a cat. Weedy is from the furd world. Lets face it......their engines leave something to be desired. So they rely on inertia to get down the track. Not the first time I've seen a furd guy claim the heavier clutch is faster. It narrows up their power band to the point the clutch is not coupled much except for a x hundred rpm in each gear. It's almost a tq converter.

Now hopefully at some point this year I'll get to try it both ways. But there is not much doubt with a engine willing to accelerate which way will work the best. Because all that heat weedy is talking about is also wasted energy. That energy could be used to propel the car forward with a lighter more efficient set up
lol So your saying weedy hasn't felt 25PSI before the 60'? Damn you torque! So that clutch tamer with an LS on 35PSI is just going to result in a burnt disk. I'm used to letting off at the 1/8th and coasting to faster then 137MPH and hes thinks that MPH is somehow impressive in a car that's almost 2000lbs lighter.

I agree heat energy from slipping is indeed wasted energy. Seems like 6 of one half dozen of another. The funny part is we've seen cars go faster turning over the slick rather then dead hooking, wasted energy and all. If it was a radial then I could understand but different strokes.

I still don't get that even if his 10" single somehow does manage to handle a season in a 1000+whp 4k lb car slipping off the line every pass. How the 10" single somehow handles heat any better then a triple disk that has more surface area and also has full face solid hub iron disks?

Its really not hard to determine overall capacity. Get the inner and outer radius of the disks along with the friction coefficient and pressure plate clamping force and you calculate the torque rating of each clutch. Since Tilton publishes everything except friction from what I've seen you can work it for the variable. Seems like at least a 1200 rating from these 7.25 units?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Coyote stock stuff record is a 10.0. It's easy to find. Maybe there is another class idk or he went outlaw. I've seen you post info from furd cars.

Coyote Stock car with factory sealed engine running at an all motor event. I am using the Coyote cars here as an example of the efficiency that can be had from a "heavy" 10" single disc clutch.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I still don't get that even if his 10" single somehow does manage to handle a season in a 1000+whp 4k lb car slipping off the line every pass. How the 10" single somehow handles heat any better then a triple disk that has more surface area and also has full face solid hub iron disks?
A 10" Softloc style single has about 25% more friction surface area than a 7" twin. My clutch is even bigger @ 10.5".

It's about how much energy a given clutch can absorb in a short period of time without overheating. In that regard more mass is better. Surface area exposed to air means little, as energy is being absorbed at a faster rate than the surface area can transfer it away.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:21 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by weedburner
A 10" Softloc style single has about 25% more friction surface area than a 7" twin. My clutch is even bigger @ 10.5".

It's about how much energy a given clutch can absorb in a short period of time without overheating. In that regard more mass is better. Surface area exposed to air means little, as energy is being absorbed at a faster rate than the surface area can transfer it away.
So what are your inner and outer radius? We can calculate this real quick. Who said anything about twins? I have a triple 7.25 and it works better then any larger twin I've run.

You keep dodging the answers on what it can actually hold. I've seen multiple softlocs used, but almost always in lighter cars, heavier turbos cars went faster swapping to a normal clutch.

Has anyone here with a 7.25 triple over heated it?

Coyote Stock car with factory sealed engine running at an all motor event. I am using the Coyote cars here as an example of the efficiency that can be had from a "heavy" 10" single disc clutch.
Thats not a good example because it's a sub 3100lb car not making any power, that's a perfect world for clutch longevity not the abuse we subject them too with much heavier cars making almost 3x as much power.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:35 AM
8 Second Club

If you follow Coyote Stock, the car that posted those numbers has distinctive checkerboard paint/wrap.
I just looked that car up, Carlos Sobrino. Car is 2550lbs so its not Coyote stock legal. Plus that car is running a Gforce G101A trans so hardly a comparison to a stock tremec. I dont get the point of comparing a flyweight race car with a race car 4 speed trans to a bunch of heavy 6 speed street cars?
Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Yes the triple. Some of it may stem from slave cylinder selection and not having room for clutch wear, others might be from over extending the pressure plate and not using a pedal stop but I cant confirm. After setting up an aftermarket slave I would never go back to stock junk and a pedal stop is easy to setup. However I assume anyone spending $3500+ on a clutch would set it up properly?

lol So your saying weedy hasn't felt 25PSI before the 60'? Damn you torque! So that clutch tamer with an LS on 35PSI is just going to result in a burnt disk. I'm used to letting off at the 1/8th and coasting to faster then 137MPH and hes thinks that MPH is somehow impressive in a car that's almost 2000lbs lighter.

I agree heat energy from slipping is indeed wasted energy. Seems like 6 of one half dozen of another. The funny part is we've seen cars go faster turning over the slick rather then dead hooking, wasted energy and all. If it was a radial then I could understand but different strokes.

Its really not hard to determine overall capacity. Get the inner and outer radius of the disks along with the friction coefficient and pressure plate clamping force and you calculate the torque rating of each clutch. Since Tilton publishes everything except friction from what I've seen you can work it for the variable. Seems like at least a 1200 rating from these 7.25 units?
I use a qtr master hydraulic release bearing in my car. We used a adjustable tilton hrb in my buddies 5gen....both with 5.5 tiltons triples and stock masters and pedal stops. I think pedal stops are great.

Looks like we learn the troof here in a moment.

But yes.....coyote stock cars are very efficient. They are full on race cars. The fast ones are the best if the best **** in then with 24xxlb or less curb weights and weight added to make weight.

No twins here.

I just looked that car up, Carlos Sobrino. Car is 2550lbs so its not Coyote stock legal. Plus that car is running a Gforce G101A trans so hardly a comparison to a stock tremec. I dont get the point of comparing a flyweight race car with a race car 4 speed trans to a bunch of heavy 6 speed street cars?
Weedy seemed to have left something out there......like 600lb of rw. Funny part is there is 2 different weights for coyote stock depending on motor used. 3k for 11-14 motors and 3175 for 15 and newer motors.

I dig the coyote stock stuff. But it's not comparable to what most of us is doin.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

The point of my responses to this thread is that it's possible to produce more net power in a given time frame by using clutch slip to your advantage. That requires a clutch that can handle some slipping without damage, which generally means if you are making a lot of power you may need a heavier clutch that can tolerate the slipping. Know of any other way to squeeze 9.40 et's out of 137mph power? I don't see anyone on the fastest 6spd list doing it yet.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 AM
8 Second Club

The point of my responses to this thread is that it's possible to produce more net power in a given time frame by using clutch slip to your advantage. That requires a clutch that can handle some slipping without damage, which generally means if you are making a lot of power you may need a heavier clutch that can tolerate the slipping. Know of any other way to squeeze 9.40 et's out of 137mph power? I don't see anyone on the fastest 6spd list doing it yet.
lol your looking over the fact your referencing a 2550lb car with a clutchless manual. The other point you seem to be missing is the 6 speed list cars have 6 speeds, not a fancy aftermarket 4 speed race car transmission. Comparing cars that at the lightest are 600+lbs heavier doesn't really make sense, lower weight optimizes MPH all by itself.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you are saying my concept can't be scaled up to your weight/power?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:49 PM
8 Second Club

So you are saying my concept can't be scaled up to your weight/power?
I'm saying you haven't presented any proof of it working on a heavier car at a higher power level.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you don't have enough clutch for the application, it won't work. That's why lightweight clutches are not always the best choice.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

You would need a pulling truck clutch to hold 1k hp and move 4k lbs to slip it like you want. Of which btw are8some big hunk of cast iron lie the stock junk is.

You're also trying to compare these full on race cars to street cars. I'll take the lighter clutch between those 2 situations.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot to post my gains from the light clutch.

Before was stock clutch and after was 100mm MAF, ATI 10% and SPEC Mini Twin

Old 09-13-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did the lite clutch make you quicker/faster at the dragstrip?

Grant
Old 09-13-2017, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the lite clutch make you quicker/faster at the dragstrip?

Grant
Hard to say. I never made a clean pass with the stock clutch but as of now I'm trapping about 4 mph higher than most bolt on C5Z's. 122 vs 118 or so.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

There is plenty of evidence out there showing that yes lighter clutches do accelerate better weedy. It's kind of a no brainer. Especially with the over weight gm clutches.

Scotty's results aren't really whete they should be yet. Anyone trapping 118 in a fbo ls6 z06 should trade it iff on a prius to save the gasoline for those if us that know wtf we're doin.

I've seen stock c5z go 118.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I will say a lesson learned on my part - the lighter clutch seems to like a smaller master to help with slipping at launch vs the larger master I had before. I lost engagement window width with the lighter clutch.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Well...not really do to lighter clutch. More of the design of the clutch and the fact that a clutch with grippier material will act like the window is smaller.

On a clutch like mine and scottys the length of the springs are much shorter also. Further reducing the amount the hydraulic release bearing has to travel for engagement.

It's not really a weight thing.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's